The Futility of Resistance

Show us your fanfic, original stories, poems, etc
MetalHead
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

The Futility of Resistance

Post by MetalHead »

(This is a tribute to Graham Kennedy's UNBELIEVEABLY EPIC 'Portal'. A sequel, involving the Borg.)

I.

It had been only three years. To some, of certian cultures and races, in various contexts and equally pointless viewpoints, that would seem like a fair amount of time. To her, it was almost nothing. She had watched the struggle, the battle for Mars, had seen the raw, all encompassing power that had destroyed the human's 4th planet. Her vessel had been there, cloaked, a rarity that a cloaking device was used aboard her vessel. She had watched in awe as in a single shot, the planet was destroyed. But the Federation's vile teeth had not gone without blood and flesh. Large fleets of vessels. High explosive defense drones. Planetary defenses. They had spared not one weapon that could be fired. Their defense of Mars had been relentless. She paused momentarily and searched for the word humans would use. Epic, seemed the correct choice. She paused again as she reran the entire running campaign that the invaders had made. Hundreds of thousands of vessels. Their technology was so pitiful that had bemusement been within her range of emotion, she would have wept with laughter. But it was not.

She was the Queen. She was Borg. The invaders from the other universe would be unable to resist sufficently. She silently commanded, and Tactial Cube X107 Alpha silently slipped into the anamoly past an impressive armada of federation static defenses. So large was the amount of firepower they had poured into defending the area that the queen estimated that two tactical cubes would POSSIBLY be enough to outgun the stations on sheer firepower alone. Fortunately, they would not be assaulting the Federation. No, this 'Empire' would be their target for assimilation. The cube slipped through, the Queen embedded within it. Space, reality vanished, and then she was whole again. Briefly, the drones emitted confusion at the huge loss of the collective voices. But that was why the queen herself had arrived. She soothed the drones, who silently continued to go about the various tasks she had set them. The Cube, cloaked, appeared in space. To her surprise, there was no defenses.

She called up the sensor data and a speck of irritation seeped through her implants. Federation vessels, not equipped with trans-warp drive, slipped through the anaomaly normally. Somehow, the emissions from the transwarp drive's power matrix had caused a time displacement. They had traveled back atleast a decade prior to the time when...when Picard had gone through. No matter. THey would adapt. The Cube shimmered as it decloaked, and entered warp drive.

Mace Windu sat silently in meditation, feeling the pure essence of the force flow through him as he embraced it, riding a river of power, a river that you either swam in or were destroyed by. Every cell in his body was awake and alive, his pulse raced. But his meditation was rudely interrupted. A pang of...darkness...blasted through him, as if someone had taken a blade and cut an giant hole in the fabric of space and time themselves. Mace's eyes shot open, he felt sickened, and a strange impluse to protect himself and those around him. The Force giving him a warning of danger, then. He stood from his meditation and made it three steps towards the door before he heard every intercom system in the Jedi Temple activate. One voice came through. And from the moment he heard it, he felt the wrongess of it.

"We are the Borg. Life as you know it as over. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."

Mace instantly felt a pull to the council chambers. Yoda only sent a summons through the force in a dire emergency. Mace set off at a swift walk, noticing pupils looking confused and somewhat afraid in the halls. Even the brashest, most fearsome lightsaber students looked a bit shaken. He walked swiftly, but would not let himself run. He had to appear as all the students saw him. A wall of confidence, a master of the force, fearless. A Jedi Master. He was only a few meters from the lift when 'it' happened. A swirl of green, a feel of extreeme danger, and then there it was, infront of him. It was impossible on a million levels but none the less, the most foul sense of nothingness and evil came from it. It was some kind of cyborg, covered head to toe in implants and an exoskeleton that seemed to serve as some kind of armor and general housing for cybernetics. Its skin was pale and white, and many tubes and other peices of twisted metal were portruding from it.

It looked right at him. "You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile." it said as it walked towards him. Mace didn't know what was going on, but he knew agression when he saw it. In a flash he drew his lightsaber. "You are an intruder in the Jedi temple. I command you by the order of the Jedi council to leave immediatly!" he said in his most commanding voice. The cyborg said nothing and continued to advance. It raised its left arm, which had been almost completely replaced by some sort of multi-tool apparatus. Mace also knew a weapon when he saw one, and he definitly knew when he was under attack. He lashed out with the Force, and in shock, the thing didn't even flinch. He had pushed with all his might, and it was as if he had merely blown a whisper across a chasm. Nothing.

Mace was stunned, but not stunned enough to let himself be struck. The machine-man raised its arm for an overhead strike, and Mace whirled. The glowing blade of his lightsaber cleanly severed the things arm in a shower of sparks, and then peirced its chest for a fast stab. In a shower of sparks, it twitched and dropped to the floor, dead. Eerily, mace sensed some kind of relief as it died, as if someone who had been trapped had been freed. He pushed thee thoughts to one side. The temple was under attack, and he needed to get to Yoda.
"Beware what you intend to say, those words will always make you pay." - Soilwork

Booze and Strippers!
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Cool beginning. I personally disagree with Graham's take on what Star Wars technology can do but its his story his take on comparing the two universes. Its a good sequel in the works, but make sure its okay with an author before you make a sequel :P Hope to see more if the admins permit it.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I don't mind people writing a sequel to Portal if they want; it's only a fanfic after all, it's not like I hope to publish it someday!

I also don't mind people disagreeing with my take on the SW universe; the main intent I had with that story was to write one where the Federation are the bad ass aliens for once because I'm so sick of having some new bad guy show up with apparently invincible ships - the Romulans in BoT, the Borg in Q Who, the Dominion in The Jem'Hadar, etc. It really is not meant to be an accurate depiction of the technology of SW.

And so long as this story is Federation and Borg, not Federation and SW, I don't mind it being here at all.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
MetalHead
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by MetalHead »

Just realized that the story I had in mind (Borg VS SW) is against the rules of the forum, and after brief discussion with graham, will no longer be updating this story. sorry all...
"Beware what you intend to say, those words will always make you pay." - Soilwork

Booze and Strippers!