Lucky Nerds in Love

Show us your fanfic, original stories, poems, etc
Dean Martlou
Master chief petty officer
Master chief petty officer

Lucky Nerds in Love

Post by Dean Martlou »

Jessie Leedin[/size]
Love is blind. At least, I hope love is blind, 'cause otherwise, I'm anything other than screwed, fucked, or anything else where there's sex involved.
I guess you could say I'm a nerd. I mean, I never really got accused of nerdism to my face, but I think that's just because I don't fit the typical image a lot of people get when they think of a nerd.
Specifically, I'm a girl.
I suppose I should tell you my story, so here goes...

It was cold. That unlovely kind of cold where your toes feel like they're about to fall off. My unathletic body couldn't take too much of this punishment, but I was slugging through it as best I could.
Until I fell over. The ice, of course, precipitated this nasty little incident, and I went over with all the grace of the proverbial bag of hammers.
"Shit," I muttered as I crawled to my knees and promptly ended up splayed across the sheet of ice again. My next words were, of course, "could someone help me?"
Nobody came to my rescue for a good five minutes, although a few people did stop and laugh at my pitiful attempts to get back up. Then, some guy must have spotted my long hair and thought I was a regular, pretty, non-nerd girl, because a pair of steel blades scraped into view and a hand reached down and helped me up.
Did I mention I was at the ice rink with a group from school? I guess I should have mentioned that.
Anyways, this guy helped me up and he took one look at my face, and he said, "oh."
Just that, and not a thing more.
I wanted to cry, but fortunately, that was somewhere deep down inside me that I couldn't quite reach enough to get the tears to come. Instead, I just stuck my tongue out at him and made a mental note: Jimmy Mulk is a bastard.
So I skated around for a few minutes more, until, out of the corner of my eye, I saw Jimmy going around again.
I was trying to think of something I could do to him, when, out of nowhere, in a flash of blue fleece jacket and green khaki pants, some guy with a bad mullet saved only by the tiny growth of beard he was desperately trying to nurture came around Jimmy, twisted neatly on his skates so that he was going backwards, and with a strange little maneuver like a simultaneous oscillation of his feet, moving them apart and back together in tandem, managed to keep up the backwards motion.
He grinned this evil little grin and said, "James Mulk, I challenge you to a contest."
Jimmy rolled his eyes. "Go away, buttwad."
He tried to move off, but Mullet-guy stayed in front of him, no matter where he went.
"Alright," Jimmy shouted. "What do you want, you little freak?"
Mullet-guy didn't even pause. He just said, "world peace, ten thousand dollars, and a Corvette. What I am doing, however, is different. I am challenging you to a race, twice around the rink, for the honor of the lady you quite clearly just insulted in some way over there. If you want, I'm willing to throw in some money to make it worthwhile to you, although, by the standards of common chivalry, I'm pretty sure I shouldn't have to."
Jimmy snorted and said, "Chivalry is dead. You'll have to wager a hundred bucks--at least--to make me race you for such a stupid reason."
Mullet guy snorted this time.
"Well, I don't know about you, moneybags, but I don't carry a hundred bucks on my person at all times. I do have this twenty though, and I'll gladly pay you another eighty if I lose. Will you match my wager?"
Jimmy got this horrible look on his face, and although I desperately wanted Mullet-guy to win, somehow I knew that he didn't stand a chance. "I'll do just that, and I've got the money to back it up with me. You agree to pay me a hundred and twenty if you lose, and I'll race you."
Mullet-guy nodded and agreed, and they lined up next to each other, with some girl named Cassie reffing their race.
Cassie shouted "go," and Jimmy took off at a blistering pace, but Mullet-guy just sort of ambled out onto the ice. As Jimmy reached about a quarter of the way around the rink, Mullet-guy got up by where I was, winked at me, sighed heavily, and then leaned forwards and accelerated at a huge rate. I felt my eyes get real wide as he glided past Jimmy, startling him and making him wipe out. Mullet-guy sighed, waited for Jimmy to get up, and then continued on.
Jimmy started really pouring on the speed, and he pulled up even with Mullet-guy, but Mullet-guy just put in a little more effort, and by the time they were on the second half of the second lap, Mullet-guy was comfortably ahead. He rounded the final corner and Cassie took a second to register the fact that he had won.
Mullet-guy did a victory lap...

Daniel Donnyr
John Lennon and Paul Mcartney wrote:And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.
I had never understood the concept of the victory lap until I tried one. I don't even know why I did the victory lap. I guess it was just the combination of everything, and wanting to show off for the girl.
I'm not usually an assertive person, and challenging Jimmy Mulk to a race for any reason whatsoever isn't something I'd normally have done, but I'm the kind of person who has an overdeveloped sense of justice.
That, and she had... well, okay, she wasn't anything special, really, just some girl.
Anyways, the fact remained that my prior experience on the ice rink had helped: the only sport I ever really got into was speedskating, and even if it wasn't much experience, even if I did kinda suck compared to most speedskaters, I was still a hell of a lot faster than Jimmy.
I wrapped up my victory lap, glided up to Jimmy, and demanded my hundred dollars. He handed over the money with naught but a glare that--if looks could kill--might have been banned by the Geneva Convention.
Having received my money, I skated over to the clumsy girl who had fallen and said hi.
She just gave me this look that said volumes about what she had gone through in her life: shock and disbelief mingled with contempt and a little bit of what I thought might be hope.
"You're actually talking to me?" I winced. She was going to be tough to reach, and she was obviously more used to being jerked around than even I was.
"Well, despite the money, the main point of that race was you. I don't like it when I see people being mistreated and humiliated like that." Putting on my holier-than-thou face and placing one hand on my chest, I continued, "I happen to have a strong sense of justice, and I try to be chivalrous, unlike some people." I dropped the affected mannerisms and finished up my little speech with a quick, "and yet, I don't get favoured by the ladies. I guess I'm just not bold enough."
She laughed, a delightful little ripple of mirth that sent a tiny little chill down my spine.
"I don't know," she said, "you're doing well enough with me. Can you do me a favor?"
I nodded. "Anything within reason." Mentally, I added that I would also do take-me-now-you-studmuffin type requests. I had the sense not to say it out loud.
She smiled. "Can you teach me to do that?"
I thought for a moment, I suppose I could, but would I want to? Hell, I'll give it a try. Then, with hardly as much confidence as I would have liked, I said, "of course I can. My name is Daniel Donnyr, by the way."
She smiled.
"Jessie Leedin. So, how do we start?"
I backed away, looked at her, and saw one thing: she wasn't dressed for this.
I was. I took off my jacket, revealing the other two layers of clothing--my blue sweater and the oversized green tee-shirt underneath it, and I handed it to her.
"Well, Jessie, the first thing we do is make sure you're warm enough not to freeze your ass off while you're trying to learn to skate. The pink baseball cap, for instance, can stay, but you have to wear a jacket. And if you seriously want to be good at this, you'll need more than a single three-hour lesson."
She laughed again.
"I can do that," she said.
I grinned--I just couldn't help it, beamed like an idiot, and added, "you're also gonna have to not laugh so much. You have a distractingly wonderful laugh."

(expect updates.)
Oops.

I shouldn't have told you that last part.