The Madness of Glacies Prima: Part 5 is here

Show us your fanfic, original stories, poems, etc
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

The Madness of Glacies Prima: Part 5 is here

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I have way too many ideas floating around my head.

Anyway, this is a short story I thought up during a very boring two hours at work with nothing to do. The idea occured to me when I was thinking about the discussions we were having here about different types of life forms, and it sort of developed from there. I suppose it's more of a mystery story than anything else I've written so far, and I have the whole plot planned out. All I need to do now is type it all up.

After I get this story out and done with, I'll be returning my attention to my other stories, whose plots have recovered from the computer crash that put them on hold for several months and killed off all my notes.
Anyway, this is just the prologue/intro to the story, and sets up the background and the stuff about the planet, the facility and the universe itself.

Unlike the other universe I created, this one is a "hard sci-fi" universe, which means I'm sticking (mostly) to the laws of physics, hence the lack of FTL, laser guns, and other stereotypical sci-fi stuff.
The story is set several centuries into the future. Humanity has spread out across the nearby region of space, and established numerous colonies. Earth remains in control of the colonies due to it's massive military might. Technology is kind of similar to modern day stuff, but more advanced, as you may see as the story goes on.

Anyway, enjoy, and let me know what you think. :)
-----------------------

The Madness of Glacies Prima

It was a small world, covered in a frozen wasteland of ice. It orbited its sun, Glacies Alpha, at a distance just slightly farther than Earth did its sun. More than a century ago the nearby colony of New Michigan had turned its deep space sensors on the bleak system, and had detected something that had stunned the far-flung human race: life. Alien life, something never before discovered. Within less than a decade, even the farthest colonies had heard the news. Earth acted quickly; within thirty years of receiving the news they had assembled and launched a massive colony ship. Crewed by fifty of Earth's best scientists kept in cryo-stasis for the entirety of the 42 year trip from the Sol system to Glacies Prima, and filled to the brim with prefabricated buildings, labs, equipment and vehicles, the Santa Maria embarked on what every human in the galaxy agreed would be the most amazing mission in history.

45 years after the ship had launched, Earth received its first communication from Glacies Base. The results had been less than impressive. Although the planet did contain life, it was but a single species of non-sapient beetle like creatures. While scientists across the vast expanse of Earth's domain jumped for joy at the news and petitioned the planetary governments to send more ships out to investigate, the vast majority of the populace felt as if they had been cheated. They had been expecting fully sapient races with their own starships and colonies. For them, the Glacies Beetles weren't "alien enough". Without any public support for increased spending on the project, and with the colony of Beta Hydri's declaration of independence from Earth, the government shut down the project, leaving the fifty scientists they had sent there half a century ago to remain there in ignominy and to fend for themselves in the small, self-sufficient base they had erected. As if to add further insult to injury, Glacies Base was officially renamed to Glacies Scientific Research Outpost. No ship was dispatched to pick the scientists up, nor was any ship dispatched to bring them further supplies or assistance. Aside from the message the facility sent every six months, Glacies Prima was dead to the galaxy. They were to remain there for the rest of their lives, with only the Glacies Beetles to keep them occupied.

In all likelihood, the chaos that followed the Beta Hydri Rebellion would have ensured that Glacies Outpost would have been forgotten by the government within only a few years. However, the small remote system was brought back to Earth's attention 52 years after the first colony ship had launched. The scientists had been manning the facility for just seven years, when an automatic monitoring drone on the outskirts of the New Michigan system picked up a random, confused and self-contradictory message that had supposedly originated from the Glacies system. Even ignoring the fact that the outpost was not scheduled to transmit another message for another four months, the content of the message quickly gained the attention of all who heard it. All subsequent attempts to establish contact with the colony failed, and Earth's government acted quickly. Within three years, they had approved of the launch of a rapid response ship to investigate Glacies Prima. However, due to the system's insignificance in the grand scheme of things, the only people going to investigate the system would be ten soldiers from the Hazardous Environment Combat Unit, one government official, one representative of the company that had built the prefabricated facility and three civilian scientists.

The team would spend the next forty two years in cryo-stasis, and would descend onto the surface of the bleak world to solve the mystery of Glacies Outpost's last transmission. They would have no support, no idea of what they were going into, and the only information they had was the insane transmission from the outpost.

"COLD. SO COLD. ALL WARMTH IS GONE. ALL WARMTH IS DEAD. THEY ARE DEAD. WE ARE DEAD. I AM DEAD. ALL DEAD. THE WORLD IS DEAD. THE WORLD IS FROZEN DEAD WITH LIFE. HE KILLED US ALL. HE SAVED THEM. HE KILLED ALL TO SAVE ALL. THEY LIVE. THEY THINK BUT DONT KNOW IT. DID WE KILL THEM ALL? THEY HAVE KILLED US ALL. THEY LIVE. THEY STILL LIVE THOUGH WE ALL DIE. ITS HERE. MADNESS IS HERE. THEY ARE HERE. THEY RULE HERE. WE DIDNT KNOW. HE KNEW. HE TOLD US AND HE DID IT. HE DID IT. SO COLD. NO WARMTH. ALL GONE. ALL DEAD. DEAD LIKE GLACIES. WE DIDNT KNOW. WE SHOULD HAVE KILLED THEM. KILLED THEM ALL. WE KILLED ALL OF THEM AND WE GOT KILLED BY ALL OF THEM. WE ARE AS GOOD AS DEAD NOW. RUN. FLEE. KILL THEM ALL. KILL US ALL. NOTHING HERE NOW BUT DEATH WITH LIFE. NOTHING ON GLACIES PRIMA BUT MADNESS."
- Last known transmission from Glacies Scientific Research Outpost, transmitted by Facility Director Eric Barnes.
Last edited by Sionnach Glic on Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Sweet. My interest is certainly piqued. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Looks good. So did the beetles bore into some guys brain and make him a meat puppet?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I get the feeling he's not going for a Starship Troopers 2 theme here. Great title, BTW.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Tsukiyumi wrote:I get the feeling he's not going for a Starship Troopers 2 theme here. Great title, BTW.
That was in Starship Troopers 2?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Gah. I didn't see the pile, but I read about it... Is there an emoticon for vomiting?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Tsu wrote:Sweet. My interest is certainly piqued. :wink:
Thanks. I'll have part 1 up tomorrow. :)
Great title, BTW.
Thanks. :)
Kendall wrote:Looks good. So did the beetles bore into some guys brain and make him a meat puppet?
Who knows.... :wink:
That was in Starship Troopers 2?
Yes. It was one of the worst attorcities ever infilicted upon Heinlein's book. It wasn't even that the concept was bad, it was just executed so badly that it would make B&B look like Shakespeare in comparison.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

I'm certainly interested in seeing what the troops are carrying for weapons.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

They're still projectile weapons, though they'll be apropriately futured up. :)
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:They're still projectile weapons, though they'll be apropriately futured up. :)
Cool, lasers are so yesterday. :wink:
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Cpl Kendall wrote:Cool, lasers are so yesterday. :wink:
Say that again in a couple of years when American F-22's are equipped with this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Energ ... nse_System

:wink:
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Say that again in a couple of years when American F-22's are equipped with this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Energ ... nse_System

:wink:
Awesome, I can picture the hazmat team standing by for the toxic fuel leak.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Cpl Kendall wrote:Awesome, I can picture the hazmat team standing by for the toxic fuel leak.
There's always a drawback to fielding new weaponry. Nuclear weapons aren't exactly healthy...

Actually, let's take this conversation elsewhere. I don't want to fill up Rochey's story thread.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Okay, part 2 as promised.
:)
----------------------------

Part 1: Beginnings

45 years, 3 months, 12 days and 13 hours after The Incident

"Approaching final waypoint. Decelerating to optimal speed now." The flat, emotionless voice of the ERRS Europa's flight computer rang out throughout the decks of the massive three kilometre long ship. After reaching the edge of the Glacies system at the end of it's 42 year long journey, the ship slowed down from its inter-system flight speed of .82C to a more reasonable level. After a short while, it swung into orbit over the planet of Glacies Prima.
"Target position reached. Ship is now in orbit over target planet. Reactivating crew."

Deep inside the habitable area of the ship, life support whirled into action for the first time in the best part of half a century. Oxygen systems went online, lights flickered on, and gravity generators in the corridors buzzed into action. The cryo-stasis units, hidden inside an armoured chamber at the heart of the vessel, hissed as they shut down the stasis systems, bringing their inhabitants back to the land of the living.
Sergeant Hanson, leader of the ship's complement of the ten soldiers, was the first to come back to full consciousness, and staggered blearily towards the locker room where the crew's gear was stowed.
Corporal Sven was the next to wake, and elected to stay lying down until he had become fully awake, by which time Privates Eryl and Sinderman had also woken up.
The next up was Joseph Flynn, a scientist well versed in forensics who had been conscripted onto the mission. It was Flynn's first time to undergo cryo-stasis, and the after-effects hit him like a sledgehammer as soon as he woke up. His vision was blurred, almost as though his eyes were full of tears, and he had to fight to remain upright, as his brain kept insisting that he was still lying down. He then spent the next ten or so minutes fighting to dress himself in clothes that he never remembered owning, before Hanson helpfully informed him that they were not, in fact, his clothes. After another ten minutes spent battling to get his shirt back off, he staggered across the room to his own locker, where he was soon joined by an equally affected Sarah Quinn, a biologist who had also been assigned to help the investigation along. Exactly why she was along, Flynn couldn't figure out. Though he expected it had something to do with there being alien life on this planet.

"Lug beder dun meh." Flynn mumbled as she opened the locker next to his.

"What?" She asked, looking at him in confusion. Flynn paused for a moment, regained control of his tongue, and tried again.

"You look better than me." He said, saying it slowly and carefully.

"Yeah, well, I feel about as bad as you look." She replied as she fumbled with the door to her locker.

After a few more minutes of confused milling about as people attempted to locate their clothes, the team made their way into the ship's cramped cafeteria, where the food dispenser unit poured out bowls of supposedly nutritious grey goo. After being assured by one of the marines that there was nothing else on board to eat, Flynn reluctantly grabbed a bowl and sat down next to Quinn and Steve Carter, the representative from Industrico Inc. who manufactured prefabricated colonial facilities. Quinn, a well travelled woman who was no stranger to space travel, was eating her own bowl of goo with gusto. Carter on the other hand was sitting there prodding the stuff around his bowl with his spoon, almost as if he thought that there would be something appetising hidden at the bottom of the bowl under the goo. After tasting it for himself, Flynn could quickly understand Carter's reluctance to eat the stuff. It had the consistency of thick porridge and tasted of socks.

"First time on a ship?" Asked a marine seated opposite Flynn, apparently noting his disgust at the food. The marine's nametag on his uniform announced him to be Private C. Harrison.

"Yeah, sort of. I was on an intra-system flight before, but never one this far out. You?"

"This is my eight trip" Harrison replied. "They get easier after the first one or two."

"Nice to know, but I think I'll be more than happy to stay there when I get back home. What the hell is this stuff, anyway?"

"Best not to think about it." The marine replied with a shrug. He looked like he was about to say something else, but was interrupted by a call from the top of the long table they were all seated at.

"May I have your attention please?" Yelled a guy in an official looking suit seated at the top of the table. Flynn recognised him as Craig Connor, some government guy who had been given command of the investigation. The idle chatter along the table died out as the others reluctantly gave their attention to Connor.

"Thank you." He called when they had finally quieted down. "Now, as you know we are currently in orbit of our destination, Glacies Prima. Around forty five years ago the only facility on this planet, Glacies Scientific Research Outpost, went out of contact with the rest of the galaxy. Long range sensor probes weren't able to figure out what happened, and they weren't responding to communications. That's why we're here: to investigate what happened."

"Didn't we here all this before?" Carter murmured to Flynn.

"Maybe he thinks we've forgotten it all." Flynn replied.

"Now," Connor continued to drone on. "as you may remember, the planet has a breathable atmosphere. However, it is very thin, so we'll be in sealed suits until we get inside the main facility. The planet's temperature is also below freezing, so make sure none of your skin is exposed for any long period of time.
Glacies Outpost consists of three facilities. The first, Glacies Alpha, is the main facility. It consists of habitation areas, the communications systems, labs, a motorpool, the base's fusion reactor and some other stuff. Glacies Beta is an observation and research centre near the edge of a glacier eighty kilometres to the west, and contains a few labs and habitation areas along with the backup communication array and the secondary power generators. Glacies Gamma is the smallest and was set up mainly to act as an observatory. That one is four kilometres south of Alpha. All facilities except Gamma are surrounded by a three metre tall steel wall to keep out the worst of the weather and any predators."

"What predators?" Quinn called out. Connor, looking surprised that he'd been interrupted, turned to look at her.

"What was that?"

"I said 'what predators'? I thought the only thing here was some sort of crab."

"Beetle." Flynn corrected absent-mindedly.

"There are no predators on this planet, Miss Quinn, but the facility is part of a prefabricated base that came with walls already. Hence why they are there." Connor cleared his throat and continued with his briefing.
"Within an hour the ship will arrive in geo-synchronous orbit over Glacies Alpha. We'll launch a shuttle down to the surface and land just outside the base and proceed in on foot. After landing, the shuttle will return to the mother ship and await further instructions. We will investigate Alpha, find out what the problem is, and then go home again. We'll only need to bother with the other two facilities in a worst case scenario."

"Have we any idea exactly what happened?" Carter asked.

"To be honest, no. In all likelihood it was just some sort of communications failure. We'll probably just need to restore the system, and then we'll be done."

"What about that message they sent?" Harrison called out next. "That didn't sound like a communications failure to me."

"True, but we mustn't jump to wild conclusions. We'll find out soon enough. In any case, we'll be leaving in an hour. I want all of you ready to depart by that time. We meet in the forward shuttle bay." Connor finished and walked out of the hall.

Flynn spent the next hour or so wandering around the ship with nothing to do. His job would only be to make sure the local fauna wasn't causing any of the problems, and everything he needed was already packed in a case and stowed on the military shuttle they were using to land. The only thing he could do for now was get into the tight-fitting space suit he had been issued. He wandered into the shuttle bay a good ten minutes before he needed to, and spent the rest of the time watching the dropship being prepped for launch.

"Ah, Mister Flynn." Flynn turned around as he heard his name being called. Connor, suitcase in hand, was approaching him, his suit replaced with the space suit he was now wearing. "Nice to see someone here can keep to a schedule."

It took around ten minutes longer than Connor had wanted to prepare the shuttle for take off, and the civilian personnel were mostly late to arrive. It was with a sigh of relief that he ordered the team to board the dropship when Carter, the last person to arrive, finally turned up.
Flynn took his pre-assigned seat near the back of the craft, far from the exit hatch, and began strap himself in.

"All pre-flight procedures completed." Rang the pilot's voice over the intercom. "Ready for launch." Sergeant Hanson looked around the interior of the dropship before answering to check that everyone was seated and strapped in.

"Launch when ready." He ordered, and flicked off the intercom.

Nothing happened for a moment, and then Flynn felt a sharp kick in the backside as the dropship's engines flared into life, blasting them out of the hanger and towards the planet. After five minutes of what for Flynn was pure terror as the ship shuddered and rattled violently, the pilot's voice rang out again.

"We have the LZ in sight. ETA 30 seconds."

"Copy that." Hanson replied, and then addressed the seven other troops in the dropship's hold (the other two had the job of flying the ship). "Right people, you know the drill. I want the LZ secured the moment we touch down. Alpha team will deploy right, and Beta to the left, just as we practiced before. Clear?" There was a chorus of affirmative replies from the troops.

"ETA 15 seconds." The pilot called out. The passengers began buckling on their helmets in preparation for the exposure to the atmosphere of Glacies Prima. The shuttle began to noticeably slow down.

"5 Seconds." The marines grabbed their short-barrelled rifles from their storage racks just above and behind them. Then there was a bump as the dropship hit something hard.

"We're on the ground." The pilot called out. Hanson slapped a button beside him forcefully, and two hatches on either side of the ship flew open rapidly and troops began rushing out. Even through his insulated space suit, Flynn could feel the frozen air of Glacies Prima rushing into the dropship. He rose and began to follow the troops out of the ship, but Connor gestured for him to sit back down. The civilians sat there in the cold for about a minute or so, and then Connor put a hand to his ear, as though listening to something. After a moment Flynn realised that he was talking to someone over his suit's comm unit. Connor then stood up, and gestured for the others to follow him out of the ship.

"It's clear." He informed them. "We need to get to the facility as quickly as possible, so no delays." With that he turned and hurried out of one of the exit hatches. Flynn took a deep breath, and for the first time in his life set foot on an alien world.
Last edited by Sionnach Glic on Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Still excellent, Rochey. Have you ever gotten anything published?