Saladin class render

Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Saladin class render

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Thought I'd take a break from my own stuff and have a go at rendering a TOS ship. Rather than go for the obvious, I decided to do the Saladin class from Franz Joseph's Starfleet Technical Manual.

Since TOS ships are very much about cylinders and circles, I thought I'd use my newfound practice at smoothing out shapes to try and make really high quality curved surfaces. Seems to be going well thus far!

I've actually modified Joseph's design a little to tweak some details. The TOS Enterprise always lacked visible weapons, with phaser beams emerging from more or less random spots on the hull - I tried to count them once, but gave up when I got to twenty or so. In the remastered version they seem to have settled on making the beams come from the very edge of the white dome on the bottom of the primary hull, which really makes no sense to me. So I've put some visible ball turrets on the hull, rather in the style of the movie refit Enterprise. I've also added actual torpedo tubes. The placing of all weapons is as FJ detailed them.

There's still work to be done on this, obviously - I'd like to add the hull lines we see in TOS, but I've only a vague idea of how to do that. I'd also like to add the name and insignia on the hull, but again, no idea how to do that. But it will be a good learning experience looking up how to do it!

Of course the most obvious missing element right now is windows. Up to now, I've rarely attempted windows and I've done them by making a little glowing plane that hovers right over the hull. It looks okay, but I'm thinking there surely must be a better way of doing windows than sticking little objects all over the place. I could, maybe, cut little shapes into the hull - but that seems horribly complicated. Will have a think and do some research on that. I'd also like to make the Bussard collector translucent with lights inside, rather than a simple glowing dome. I've had no luck doing that so far, though.

Anyway, here's the first pass :

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Saladin class render

Post by McAvoy »

It socks.

Just kidding. Great job on I guess your first attempt on a Trek ship?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

McAvoy wrote:It socks.
Well does that mean it rocks, or it sucks...? :)
Just kidding. Great job on I guess your first attempt on a Trek ship?
Yeah, first one.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Fucking autocorrect...
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

I love the old satellite dish deflectors.

What are the grey round things like look like snubby little cannon in the last picture?
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

PT tubes.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

That's quite nice! :) Very smooth, so you nailed that bit.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Added some hull lines to the primary...

IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Don't forget this is also the Hermes
email, ergo spam
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

IanKennedy wrote:Don't forget this is also the Hermes
With a couple of small easy changes. Hermes has fewer phasers and no photons.

Actually the photon thing is annoying, because there's no way to get rid of the "hole" the tubes sit in. Have the same issue with the Ptolemy... will have to redo that whole hull section.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

So after my "Saladin inspired destroyer" I figured I would ahve a go at doing a real Saladin again. It's a complete re-work from the ground up, discarding the model here and starting over. I'm really delighted with how this one has come out. The object was to be as close as possible to the original Franz Joseph design :

However, since the resolution on the pic is not tremendous, there was a lot of little detailing and stuff where some interpolation has been made. Biggest example is in the phaser banks, which are (roughly) TMP-style. I also didn't try to match his positioning of the windows, doing my own thing there. Anyway, see how you like it. They're too big to embed, so links are the order of the day.

This first one has text in, but it's black so open the image in a new tab to see it.

http://orig00.deviantart.net/7fb7/f/201 ... a8rte0.png

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

So although the idea of this model was to make a Saladin as close to Franz Joseph's design as I could... well, once complete I couldn't resist sticking great big phaser cannon on it, just to see what they would look like. I'm a bad man. :)

Kaboom! You would not want to be on the receiving end of this!

Seriously, though, I wish I could do beams better. Phasers should have an attenuated glow about the bright centre of the beam, but that seems to be a surprisingly difficult thing to do. I can't find any tutorials on it anywhere!

Anyway, no plans to do anything with this design. Just idle amusement!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Wouldn't want to be the dude standing nest the the center turret when it fires, either. :p
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Remembered the parallax effect. Mikey like.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer