Daystrom Ship 2 Work Thread

Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Daystrom Ship 2 Work Thread

Post by Captain Seafort »

Aye. Aka, exhibit 1 in why Starfleet's ideas of engineering are fucking stupid.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Captain Seafort wrote:Aye. Aka, exhibit 1 in why Starfleet's ideas of engineering are fucking stupid.
Exactly! Why have engines when you can just wipe out an entire planet? More questions up soon.
ImageImage
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

11. Neck between primary and secondary hulls or integrated?
12. Would you be willing to come up with some drawings (if so post here please)?
13. EMH or LMH and what mark (1, 2, 3 or 4 for EMH)?
14. How many holograms?
15. Holodecks?
Last edited by alexmann on Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

11. Neck between primary and secondary hulls or integrated?
Integrated.
12. Would you be willing to come up with some drawings (if so post here please)?
Yes, will post here when I have some ideas.
EMH Mark 4
14. How many holograms?
Couple of thousand if possible.
15. Holodecks?
Maybe a couple of holosuites but otherwise no.
Last edited by alexmann on Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

1. Roughly how long should it be?

I vote for a main hull of about 500m, however I think it should be a seperate main body and engineering hull to seperate the Command/engineering department of the ship from the Medical. Almost all non medical facilities should be in the eninneering hull including crew quarters for the rest of the crew. The medical hull (the main section) should house the patients and medical staff along with all the facilities and should have as little contact with regualar starfleet personal as possible. Hell the command and engineering crew should even have their own crew doctor and medbay to isolate them form the medical section.

2. How many patients should it be able to manage?

I think a combination of Tsu's ideas is best. Normal running occupancy of 30-40k people. However it has the capability to realistically house the 150k that Tsu's math shows it is capable of, granted the space per person there isnt massive, but this is a capability that would only be used in the case of global pandemics or truely catastrophic battle (hell even then ships tend to go down with all hands). Where there is usually ward with 6 beds and medical tools, the beds can expand out or stacking beds of a sort can opperate to make it house 24 ect. This is a capacity that would only be used for a very short term, hours or days at the most, so it wouldnt really matter if people are uncomfortable. The normal running occupancy is standard Starfleet luxury but it has built in MASH capability, not the "converted cargo bay" we would expect, but a fully designed and built in capabilty to house massive number for very short periods.

3. What should be the crew compliment? 2000.

Engneering - 20-30 (possibly upwards of 100 if we throw in technicians for the undoubtly massive amount of advanced medical gear on board)

Command- 12-15

Security/tactical - 12-15

Medical - Normal opperation 400-500 Emergency capacity 2k Holographic 5k

4. How many of them should be the medical staff? 95%.

See above. Normal opperation - I assume they will just be the primary medical care for a sector helping out the local ships and colonies so would never really have more than afew thousand guests at most. When in war time or sent to a hotspot they can swing by a medical facility and hot bunk the cabins to double or quadruple the capacity of the staff.

Medical holograms, not sure if there is a limit to how many of these you can run, could you just load the one hologram multiple times or do you need individual programmes? Is there a limit to how many the computer could run? These would basically only be used in high capacity mode to keep an eye on vitals ect and direct the real doctors to where they are really needed.

5. Spherical primary hull or elliptical?

I vote on a double hulled sort of like the Nebula, keep the main hull for medical and keep everything else you can including the bridge away in the engineering hull. I would have the ability to seperate but it seems all but useless unless the mian hull has warp which I wouldnt want in the medical hull.

I also am not a fan of the spherical hull since the top few and bottom few decks are much more limited in size, I like something more even in deck size across most decks, also I think it is important that thsi ship be fast (Ambulances are supposed to have a fast responce time and speed for a reason) So I think having a vaugly warp-o-dynamic shape is important. Also if it has runabouts or speciality medical shuttles in opperation it would probably be best to have it on the top or bottom of the ship.

6. What year shall we base it in?

7. What should we call it?

I voted for the Hypocratic class. All incompassing.

8. How long should it take to build?

Normal production 1-2 years.

9. How fast should it go?

Fast, very fast. Almost the fastest thing out there. For one if people are dying or in need of help they shouldnt have to wait. Minutes count a lot of the time. Also being medical it really shouldnt be armed so the only thing it can do is run.

10. Should it have landing capability?

No adds to much complexity for too little gain.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

11. Neck between primary and secondary hulls of integrated?

Seperate, keep the areas of the ship appart.

Very hard on a iPhone which is my primary interent.

Yes but only for true emergencys

14. How many holograms?

As many as you can support, 5 k in an emergency under maximum capacity.

15. Holodecks?

Yes, most of the time the Federation is mostly at peace with onyl boarder confelicts. So these ships will be supporting sectors under normal conditions where burn out and mental issues are just as much a problem as plasma burns...
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Captain Seafort wrote:On top of which the figure of 150k patients is way over the top. Even is the thing was a brick (say, 500m*250m*60 decks), that's only a few dozen square metres of floor space per patient without considering engines, corridors, crew quarters, operating theatres, etc.
And that's why I included 60% of the space to systems. Since it isn't a brick, cut off another 10%, and for one deck on a 500 x 250 meter ship, you have nearly 150,000 square feet that isn't engines, corridors, crew quarters, operating rooms, etc...

On one deck.

On a 60 deck ship, that would be in the neighborhood of 9 million square feet, just for patients.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

That's pretty decent wild ballparking, but the fact remains: a GCS, at over 600m, houses 1000 people (crew plus dependents.) The estimations you use for the space required by systems must be pretty far off if they indicate that a ship shorter by over 100m (and likely of a significantly smaller beam, as well) can house 157 times the capacity of the larger ship. Remember, 150k of those 157k are supposed to be patients, not crew - they can't be hotbunked, they can't be "tripled in a double" as it were, they can't have the biobeds or diagnostic equipment removed to make room, etc.

Now, before anyone says, "Well, the GCS has all those amenities..." If 1000 people need all those amenities to stay at peak efficiency, one can safely say that 7000 crew members will need more rather than less.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Having only basic defenses would free up even more space, I'd imagine, but your point is valid about crew size. The more I consider it, the more appealing a holographic complement among the crew becomes.

Let's say 400 ship crew and another 400 doctors/surgeons, with a few thousand EMH type holograms to act as orderlies, etc. and to provide an adequate nurse-to-patient ratio. Just so patients aren't crammed into recovery wards, let's say 45,000 patients maximum for short-term stabilization and treatment.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Sounds better, but I don't think you'd even need a crew that size (considering actual ship's operating crew, not medical staff.)
as Bull offed Custer
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Why not, the ambassador had a crew of 750 IIRC?
ImageImage
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

alexmann wrote:Why not, the ambassador had a crew of 750 IIRC?
The Ambassador wasn't built in 2390, with all the advances which that entails, and was a front-line explorer/cruiser which requires crew that this wouldn't.
as Bull offed Custer
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Yes, but it shows that you can fit that crew on a ship with all sorts of other things that ours won't.
ImageImage
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

alexmann wrote:Yes, but it shows that you can fit that crew on a ship with all sorts of other things that ours won't.
Precisely the point I think that's being made, the medical ship we're designing won't require such a large ship crew compliment.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

And that's why I went with 400. Maybe with advanced automation, we could say 300.