No
13%

Total votes: 8
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Daystrom Ship 2

Post by alexmann »

Last year you started to plan out a design for a Federation hospital ship. This project was then cancelled due to lack of time for the project leader. I would like to start this up again. Please vote in the poll to show if you would be interested in this and what you would be interested in designing.

It was decided to design a medium/large hospital ship.

The original threads are:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5163 - Type
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5183 - Size
ImageImage
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Daystrom Ship 2

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

I was just looking through the old threads, and there was some debate over whether a Galaxy-class sized medical ship, or mid (Excelsior-sized) ship would be better... and aside from having a larger number of medium sized ships covering a larger area, I'd also say it would be better for medium sized ships in large numbers because:

- If you have say a dozen Galaxy-sized medical ships, and you lose one due to some stellar disaster or attack, you lose 1/12th of your entire medical fleet...
- If you have say 50 Excelsior-sized medical ships, and you lose one, you lose only 1/50th of your capacity.

Obviously if you go too small, the ship might not be durable enough, or be too small to be effective, so I'd say definitely Excelsior-sized seems to be the best option for a medical vessel.

(PS. I don't know if this should go here, so sorry if I have made a boobie)
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

They decided on one around ambassador class sized IIRC.
ImageImage
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

A good size. Something Galaxy sized would be so big as to he a waste for everything but massive Dominion sized wars or global pandemics which don't really seem to happen.

In Normal times it would be a massive waste.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

It looks like people want to go ahead with this, I will create another thread for us to start working.
ImageImage
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Teaos wrote:A good size. Something Galaxy sized would be so big as to he a waste for everything but massive Dominion sized wars or global pandemics which don't really seem to happen.

In Normal times it would be a massive waste.
Plus, if you can build 5 Ambassador-sized ships for every 3 Galaxy-sized, you can be more flexible in response to multiple disasters, and can always send more ships if needed.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Agreed, flexibilty is good. I will need a list of everyone who is going to be working on this.
ImageImage
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Not sure if its a practical idea or not, but could there not be some kind of Ambulance shuttle? More advanced medical facilities then a regular shuttle, maybe a few stasus pods?

A Danube class Runabout could have a lot of medical facilities installed if the rest of the ship was stripped to a minimun.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Yeah, we've said about these. We have them.
ImageImage