Post by alexmann »

Could you defeat that ship?
ImageImage
shran
Commander
Commander

Re: Dreadnought Class

Post by shran »

Undoubtedly it would be a difficult task to defeat a vessel of such a magnitude, but that is not the point. The question is wether the in-universe available resources would be able to produce a ship according to the demanded functions. Also, design is a trade-off. Every investment you do in a certain function will take away available resources you had in the start of your project and should result in a diminuation of another aspect.

Pulling random large numbers out of our ass does not equal a viable design or even a good ship.
Designing is hard work and rightfully should be. Take a look at the various threads around this forum, such as about the design of the Daystrom or Paladin class. These things took months to design by long discussions taking place and weighing the numerous factors.

Look, the ship is invincible as it is, but probably wouldn't function in-series because of the sheer unlikeliness it would ever be built. What is tried on this board is to combine the circumstances in-universe and common sense with the known capabilities the faction producing the ship has and to get a result that is cost-effective and capable of fulfilling the tasks set by the contractors.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

shran wrote:Undoubtedly it would be a difficult task to defeat a vessel of such a magnitude, but that is not the point. The question is wether the in-universe available resources would be able to produce a ship according to the demanded functions. Also, design is a trade-off. Every investment you do in a certain function will take away available resources you had in the start of your project and should result in a diminuation of another aspect.

Pulling random large numbers out of our ass does not equal a viable design or even a good ship.
Designing is hard work and rightfully should be. Take a look at the various threads around this forum, such as about the design of the Daystrom or Paladin class. These things took months to design by long discussions taking place and weighing the numerous factors.

Look, the ship is invincible as it is, but probably wouldn't function in-series because of the sheer unlikeliness it would ever be built. What is tried on this board is to combine the circumstances in-universe and common sense with the known capabilities the faction producing the ship has and to get a result that is cost-effective and capable of fulfilling the tasks set by the contractors.
This is what I was getting at.
Bite my shiny metal ass
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

The thing is, there is only ever supposed to be one of these for use as a kick butt warship instead of sending a fleet. The resources would be hard to get hold of but this thing will take almost anything you could throw at it whereas a fleet of smaller, weaker ships would be destroyed individually this would stay alive. In the long run this would save resources and be pretty awesome to boot.
ImageImage
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

How the heck is one ship as useful as sending a fleet in such a scenario?
Bite my shiny metal ass
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

No, this just sets a new standard for other factions to aspire to and will let things escalate to that level a lot easier. An arms race would initiate trying to get a bigger stick which would cripple the economies of the federation and other factions to keep up with each other.
The bigger your advantage is, the harder it becomes in the long run to keep up such an advantage.

Also, with only one around, the area of force projection is very small. The federation has one, but soon other powers will follow to develop counter-measures. This lone ship will not be able to intercept every single one of these threats.

Then there is the problem of maintenance and development. The development will become known easily due to the huge intake of resources. The development alone would result in the crippling of the federation economy and weaken it in such an amount that other powers will be capable of launching an attack nonetheless.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Oh joy. The Star Trek equivalent of HIMS Compensator.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

That's so unfeasible its painful. That thing would measure more than the length of Wales.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Reliant121 wrote:That's so unfeasible its painful. That thing would measure more than the length of Wales.
It can carry the total population of wales as well.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Reliant121 wrote:That's so unfeasible its painful. That thing would measure more than the length of Wales.
It's not quite that big - more like the width of the English Channel.
Condan1993 wrote:It can carry the total population of wales as well.
That's not saying much. :P

It could, however, carry the entire population of the UK several times over.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Dammit. Google directions is in miles and not KM.

Stupid imperial/metric conversions.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

alexmann wrote:Could you defeat that ship?
Yes, I could. All it takes to beat a wank ship is just another more wanky ship.
alexmann wrote:Type: Dreadnought
Length: 250,000m
Width: 125,000m
Height: 75,000m
seriously? one of the biggest ships we see the Federation ever build was the Galaxy Class rated at 641m long, 470m wide and 145m tall. Even with the slightly longer hulls of the TNG movie era the Federation is no where near multiple kilometer sized ships. Where and how is the Federation going to get/build facilities to build and maintain this ship?
Cruise Warp: Warp 9
Maximum Sustainable Warp: Warp 9.9
Quantum Slipstream Capable: Yes
Quantum Slipstream Warp hasn't been perfected by Starfleet or any other Alpha Quadrant Species. The two attempts that Voyager made using Slipstream were unsustainable and resulted in the destruction of the ship in once instance.
Power Source: Omega Molecules
WTF??? Why would Starfleet use Omega as a power source? They currently have standing orders to destroy the substance anywhere and everywhere it's encountered. Beyond that there's the serious problem of it's instability and the fact that should it explode what it didn't destroy of the ship would be trapped because there would be no possibility of them warping out or anyone else warping in to save them.
Normal Impulse Speed: 0.5C
Maximum Impulse Speed: 0.99C
Time dialaiton is going to present serious tactical problems for anyone traveling at this speed.
Shielding: 500-layer auto modulating
500 shields? all of which are automodulating, where are you going to get the computer power to monitor, control, and track the modulation changes across all the shields in real-time?
Hull: Carbon Neutronium
Ablative Armour: 1,000cm
The Federation doesn't have the ability to manipulate Neutronium metal in order to build a craft. Let alone have the quantity of it to construct a ship of the size your concieving. As for the armor that's going to be over 1,000,000,000,000 cubic meters of ablative armor to cover this ship at a minimum surface area.
Cloaking Device: Interphase
The Federation is still treaty restricted with the Romulans and cannot use Cloaking devices on it's ships.

It's a wank ship because you throw up numbers and materials with no justification, explination, or thought to what problems might come of that decision. You simply selected the top of the line material and threw out large, and larger numbers. The problem with challenging someone to build a better wank ship is that you can always have bigger numbers of everything.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I didn't see the power output of the iso-mega-super-ultra-quanto-photo-Kill-O-Zap ray gun cannons. :lol:

Really?! Come on, this HAS to be a joke, right? I admire you other guys' efforts, but where do you even begin saying how inconceivably ridiculous this thing is? I mean, seriously - let's just cover Saturn with super-powerful weaponry that doesn't exist yet - and a drive system that doesn't exist yet - and a power source that doesn't exist yet - and send it off to kick various and sundry ass.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer