Dreadnought Class

Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Dreadnought Class

Post by Deepcrush »

I have the feeling this kid is from Starfleetjedi or the likes.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

alexmann wrote:Backround Info. I have sources. They say that it was constructed in chunks with a replicator then put together.

Umm... okay, what are the sources? Who's "they" in "They say?"
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

alexmann wrote:Backround Info. I have sources. They say that it was constructed in chunks with a replicator then put together.
Since 90% of what you have said is totally bullshit and the rest is the letters "I" and "A". Why don't you prove your source rather then just declaring you have them.
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

I email Rick Sternbach, Drexler and some other guy that worked on TOS.
ImageImage
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

For some reason it amuses me greatly to think of them reading those emails.

I'm sure ships are indeed replicated in chunks and assembled from that. Question is, how big a chunk are we talking about?

From what we've seen, it's not a case of replicating a big section like a nacelle. Rather, the sorts of things that are replicated are a hull plate, or an airlock door, a section of conduit, or a window.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

alexmann wrote:I email Rick Sternbach, Drexler and some other guy that worked on TOS.
Post the emails and responses then.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

GrahamKennedy wrote:For some reason it amuses me greatly to think of them reading those emails.

I'm sure ships are indeed replicated in chunks and assembled from that. Question is, how big a chunk are we talking about?

From what we've seen, it's not a case of replicating a big section like a nacelle. Rather, the sorts of things that are replicated are a hull plate, or an airlock door, a section of conduit, or a window.
Yeah, but he's not even talking about that - he's talking about knowing the methodology used in constructing the Dyson Sphere... that is, the methodology used by the unknown builders. In essence, he's saying that we don't know anything about it, the species that built it, or its origins, but we know how it was constructed. :roll:
as Bull offed Custer
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Guys, its backround ideas. Anyway who do you guys think are the unknown builders
ImageImage
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I think they are unknown...
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

alexmann wrote:Guys, its backround ideas. Anyway who do you guys think are the unknown builders
In other words you're again, full of shit, and now you need to change the subject.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by BigJKU316 »

In reality improvement in ships in trek won't come from making them bigger, it will come from making better tech for them. Better shields. Better armor. Higher power generation. Higher energy efficiency in the weapons.

I also agree with the post regarding the mile long ships. They just don't make a whole lot of sense. They should be carrying huge volumes of everything. I think trek has the ship sizes about right frankly.

If one is going to make a better ship the areas of tech to focus on are improved protective alloys, better shields and improved power generation. Not mounting 75,000 pulse cannons on the thing.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

alexmann wrote:Guys, its backround ideas. Anyway who do you guys think are the unknown builders

Again - we don't have an idea who the builders are, but we know how they built things? Really?
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

BigJKU316 wrote:In reality improvement in ships in trek won't come from making them bigger, it will come from making better tech for them. Better shields. Better armor. Higher power generation. Higher energy efficiency in the weapons.

I also agree with the post regarding the mile long ships. They just don't make a whole lot of sense. They should be carrying huge volumes of everything. I think trek has the ship sizes about right frankly.

If one is going to make a better ship the areas of tech to focus on are improved protective alloys, better shields and improved power generation. Not mounting 75,000 pulse cannons on the thing.
There is a trend of growth over time in Federation ships, but it seems to have peaked with the Galaxy class. Subsequent to that Starfleet has gone for smaller ships like the Intrepid, Sovereign, Defiant, Akira, etc.

I don't mind large designs as such - hell, my own Kororra class is over 5km long. But if you go there, then follow through on the capabilities that would bring. The Kororras, for instance, have a fighter complement of over 7,000 and a crew of 200,000, can land a Marine and Paratroop division, etc. What bugs me is ships that are a mile long, but the writers treat it about like a Frigate.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

GrahamKennedy wrote:I don't mind large designs as such - hell, my own Kororra class is over 5km long. But if you go there, then follow through on the capabilities that would bring. The Kororras, for instance, have a fighter complement of over 7,000 and a crew of 200,000, can land a Marine and Paratroop division, etc. What bugs me is ships that are a mile long, but the writers treat it about like a Frigate.
Well, when Battleships are 12+ miles long...
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

...and their stations are 100+ miles in diameter.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"