New Cardassian Ships

Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

New Cardassian Ships

Post by Tyyr »

In the SIM I'm pondering some possible designs for new Cardassian ships. I've started to doodle some potential visuals for them as well. In this instance it's a Galor sized but much improved ship.

It's a pencil sketch right now but I think I like it overall. Probably going to put this in AutoCAD and get a better drawing of it done.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: New Cardassian Ships

Post by Reliant121 »

I like the lineage. For a Galor sized ship its perfect.

Try searching Deviantart.com for some inspiration. they might have some casual digital artists that have done some fan created cardassian ships. I've seen numerous good ones. The Hutet Battleship is one I remember very well, as well as the Makur. The Norin from Dominion Wars was a good one too.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

It's meant to be an evolution of the Galor, more up to date design. Hence I moved from the broad half moon on the front of a more ellipse style shape. The one thing I always hated most about the Galor were how the forked tail and cobra hood seemed to barely be attached, so I fixed that.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Depending on how large the forward warp planes are, and how much lift those drag fins are you might even be able to claim this design atmospheric capable which would be a feather in the cap.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

This first one is a destroyer sized ship.

This is another take on the cruiser from the OP. Technically this one precedes the one in the OP based off when I drew it.

Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

The tail looks a little bulky on the Destroyer sized ship...However, I think if the ship had increased armour protection (as no doubt you have put on it) it fits nicely.

The cruiser though...Somehow It radiates a Fast Cruiser or Light cruiser? Needless to say, they are both excellent.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

That's the thing, I hate the skinny little tail on the Galor and Kheldon. Also the Hideki's tail is quite a bit heftier than the other's.

The second ship is supposed to look that way. By my own personal naming conventions I'd call it a Strike Cruiser, light cruiser firepower with destroyer or better speed.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Fair dos, i was judging looks purely by its predecessors, and the larger "industrial" looks of these ships is much better.

And good for the second. Costly to develop though i'm sure.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I'm afraid I don't much care for the last one ("Strike Cruiser," Tyyr? Is it going to carry a company of the Adeptus Cardassius? ;) ) It gives me a sort of kitbash vibe. I can certainly see the progression from prior ships, to that, to the first design; but on its own, I just get a weird feel from it.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Odd, the only thing that's a bit different than the previous was the more pointed "saucer" as opposed to the half moons they usually use.

An explorer type vessel, roughly Excelsior sized. I enlarged the "saucer" a great deal on this one. It's about five decks thick now. The body is intentionally narrower as well. I tried to make it a little less compact and solid like you expect from most Cardie ships. It's trying to provide a more peaceful appearance.

Light cruiser, I stretched out the front extension and shrunk the "cobra head" down to just a small pair of fins.

Heavy Cruiser, somewhat in the vein of the first destroyer I posted. Like that one I was going for a very solid, very strongly built design. The "saucer" is a lot like the Hideki's being more croissant than frisbee shaped. It's thick in the middle, almost wedged shaped before cutting out in the back sharply.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I like that explorer-type a lot. Might not be the type of ship we'd expect from the CU, but if it were to happen that pic is exactly how I'd envision the evolution of Cardie design to meet that role.
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Do we know what the forked tail on Cardie ships is? What's its function? I've been changing it up a lot but I have no idea what it is.

In the case of the Explorer its influenced a lot based off the Constellation and Cheyenne which are two of my favorite ships in Trek. I had to try hard to resist giving it a double forked tail.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:Do we know what the forked tail on Cardie ships is?
It's an homage to the Lockheed P-38.
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Well the Bajorans might call them that.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

A few more contestants. No side elevations as of yet.

Hammerhead. This is sort of an evolution of the previous ship I posted which had an extended bow and winglets instead of the cobra head. This morphs the cobra head into more of a hammerhead. Malak style tail but retaining the raised stinger. An elongated saucer section. There are elements I like and elements I'm a bit meh about frankly.

The next pair are fairly similar, sort of riffing on the same theme so I'll speak to both as one and the same. The "Saucer" has a lot in common with the Hideki "croissant" style instead of the Galor style. So it's intended to be thick and occupied. Thicker tail, bit of a serrated look. The body is wider than normal in a Cardie ship. I'm trying to make them look a bit more bulky. The first was really conceived as more of a destroyer sized ship and the second is intended to be a heavy cruiser.