First Look of Draconia

Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

First Look of Draconia

Post by Varthikes »

I got samples of the cover art for my book.

What do you all think?

The dragon isn't exactly what I had in mind, but close enough. At least, the artist got the basic anatomy features right--four legs, one pair of wings. But, I'm going to ask that he be made more of a brownish-gold color.

The other sample I got had a castle-like structure in the background. Since there's not supposed to be any humanoid presence on the planet yet, this one seemed more appropriate.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: First Look of Draconia

Post by Nickswitz »

I honestly like it, it has IMO a much too smooth look to it, as Dragons are usually scaly, so it looks like it's a cheap way out of hard work.

But besides that, I like it, and I like the background, but I don't know if making it look so washed out is the best way to go, I personally don't like it, but it doesn't look horrible.

If you want I can put together a sample of what I am thinking, just so if you like it you have something to show the artist.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I like it. The soft tone on the Dragon to me isn't a big deal since I don't feel that "every dragon has to have scales". The only issue I have with it is the lack of definition in the backround image.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

That's probably not the finished version. Just a rough-cut, if you will. When I specify which sample I prefer, I imagine the artist will clean it up a bit.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Oh I'm sure
I honestly like it.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Looks nice... do we get free copies? :mrgreen:
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Thankfully, I have my own artist for my future book covers. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

Here is the final version.