I present the Discovery-class

Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: I present the Discovery-class

Post by Tyyr »

So what's the goal here? To try and make "new" starship classes without actually having to design anything new?
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Tyyr wrote:So what's the goal here? To try and make "new" starship classes without actually having to design anything new?
Yep, they're all modifications of existing classes.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Foxfyre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Foxfyre »

which to me is WEAK! If I'm going to pay money to play I'm going to stick with World of Warcraft. At least theres is somewhat orginal.
Genius insania et conseri manum
Hailene
Petty officer third class
Petty officer third class

Post by Hailene »

Original? You mean how they're recycling pre-BC raiding content? Using recolored armor sets and BGs built around the amazing new concepts of take and hold and capture the flag?

I loved the game to bits, but please keep a firm grasp on reality.

Now back to STO.

I'm a bit more forgiving on the Intrepid/Defiant upgrades. They took good ships and bettered it, in theory. The nacelles for the Discovery look ugly as sin, though.

The Excalibur I can't forgive. Sure, we all know that the Constitution was a great ship, but building on the bones of advanced ships is one thing, modeling on a ship over 150 years old is insane. And it's description doesn't make much sense. It's supposed to be the workhorse of the fleet, but it has around 2/3rds the volume of the Discovery class. It's absolutely tiny.

And the Klingons have made huge technological leaps! They have frickin' * Ablative* -Neutronium- Alloy Armor. How on earth is Neutronium supposed to ablate?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Hailene wrote:...How on earth is Neutronium supposed to ablate?
Very carefully. :wink:

Welcome to the DITL Forums. :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Hailene wrote:I'm a bit more forgiving on the Intrepid/Defiant upgrades. They took good ships and bettered it, in theory. The nacelles for the Discovery look ugly as sin, though.
Frankly I'd just as soon they leave the ships alone then. They are both comparatively recent Starfleet designs. Building a Mk. II version so quickly doesn't make a lot of sense unless the designs were absolute trainwrecks.
The Excalibur I can't forgive. Sure, we all know that the Constitution was a great ship, but building on the bones of advanced ships is one thing, modeling on a ship over 150 years old is insane. And it's description doesn't make much sense. It's supposed to be the workhorse of the fleet, but it has around 2/3rds the volume of the Discovery class. It's absolutely tiny.
Well, I've personally always pegged the Miranda's and Excelsiors as the workhorses of the fleet. They're not huge but you can build them in large quantities and just throw them at problems.
And the Klingons have made huge technological leaps! They have frickin' * Ablative* -Neutronium- Alloy Armor. How on earth is Neutronium supposed to ablate?
It's trek-no-babble, be glad they didn't' throw in a few random iso's.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

That Vigilant... near as I can tell, it's just a Defiant with a couple of drop tanks.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Cpl Kendall wrote:You think that's bad? Look at their Defiant equivalent:

http://www.startrekonline.com/ships/vigilant
It pretty much is the Defiant. Lame.
Now now. It's.... um... pointier.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

:lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by USSEnterprise »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:

Worf wanted a ship what would do more damage when rammed.
Foxfyre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Foxfyre »

Hailene wrote:Original? You mean how they're recycling pre-BC raiding content? Using recolored armor sets and BGs built around the amazing new concepts of take and hold and capture the flag?

I loved the game to bits, but please keep a firm grasp on reality.

Now back to STO.

I'm a bit more forgiving on the Intrepid/Defiant upgrades. They took good ships and bettered it, in theory. The nacelles for the Discovery look ugly as sin, though.

I SAID SOMEWHAT! LOL and I don't do warsong gluch or the other BGs so what ever.
Genius insania et conseri manum
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

He is right tough but the difference is that WOW became lazy with armor-sets etc after launch whereas in STonline one has the impression that they are lazy before the launch.

I do not mean they are lazy with the quantity but with the quality of their designs. I really have the impression that all those ships and more importantly the stats and techs invoved are not designed by professionals but by fanbois with little background-knowledge.

Given the timeline I honestly do not even understand the need for so many new shipsclasses, even more so considering that most of them are only Intrepid, Defiant, Sovereigns MKII.

It is incredibly hard to design a Star Trek looking ship which is both pleasing to the eye and makes a minimum kind of sense inuniverse and from what I have seen they just do not have the talent to rival a Galaxy or Akira class, so why not just stick to the canon ones? There are more than enough of them.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Atekimogus wrote: Given the timeline I honestly do not even understand the need for so many new shipsclasses, even more so considering that most of them are only Intrepid, Defiant, Sovereigns MKII.
Totally agree.
Atekimogus wrote:There are more than enough of them.
True for SF, not that much for other powers.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Black Jesus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Black Jesus »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:

Strikes me as being a Defiant class with Prometheus class lines.
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

Foxfyre wrote:which to me is WEAK! If I'm going to pay money to play I'm going to stick with World of Warcraft. At least theres is somewhat orginal.
I'd drop WoW now. Gorrosh Hellscream is becoming Warchief and Cairne is going to die.