Starfleet Troop landing craft

Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Starfleet Troop landing craft

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I forgot to put a scale on the ship... the ship is 368.2 metres long, or a tad longer than Voyager. The landers are each 52.3 m long and have a span of 59 metres; the cargo part is 37.7 metres long, 5 metres tall and 5.5 metres wide.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Coalition wrote:
Lighthawk wrote:Slap a SIF generator meant for a much bigger ship on the thing.
More attachments along the sides and base of the transports could also work. One option might be a standard saucer, but with the landers on the outside of the hull. The fun part is that since the landers are all identical, the ones on the bottom of the hull are upside down. These are referred to as the Australia landers, as in order to climb on board you have to turn upside down relative to the rest of the ship.

Out of curiosity, how big are the landers and the ship supposed to be? The landers are roughly 129 pixels long, and I am guessing the ship is (based on last pixel in the nacelles to the front of one of the prongs) about 910 pixels in length. If you wanted the 450 m long mothership, you'd want to drop the length of the landers to ~100 pixels in length, or about 3/4 their current length. (The lengths were gotten from MS Paint, subtracting coordinates)

For the landers, one stunt might be the similar modularity of the Runabout, so a command module can be placed on any of them. Ditto for medical, maintenance, cargo, transporter beacon, and similar modules.

Heck, the Danube is roughly 23 meters long, or half the length of the landing craft.
The standard saucer thing isn't a bad idea. What I am thinking is like the Galaxy or the Prometheus but smaller and numerous. Like Graham's landers, wedge shaped.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

I like it. Any new pics?
ImageImage
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

This is a landing craft designed to land troops (and equipment, gear, etc?) from space to the surface.
Now, are the troops carried form base to the target planet in the same ship or do they need a proper transport for medium to long range missions?
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

The volume of a typical 'Trek ship is phenomenal, especially one with as minimalistic ancillary needs as this. I imagine the whole complement could be berthed comfortably without even needing to ride in the landers.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

That's my thinking. The accommodation on this ship would be rather denser than on most Starships - we've had that discussion in another thread, in volume terms something this size should easily be able to handle many thousands of troops and still be rather more comfortable than any present day naval vessel.

Holodecks and holosuites for training would also be useful; let the troops get used to the conditions on whatever planet they were heading for.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

GrahamKennedy wrote:That's my thinking. The accommodation on this ship would be rather denser than on most Starships - we've had that discussion in another thread, in volume terms something this size should easily be able to handle many thousands of troops and still be rather more comfortable than any present day naval vessel.
On the other hand, if you're fighting a war on a planetary scale, a few thousands or tens of thousands of men will barely replace last week's losses. We then get into discussing the thorny issue of whether to look at it at least marginally realistically, or to adhere to canon force levels
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Sticking to canon is likely the best option.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:That's my thinking. The accommodation on this ship would be rather denser than on most Starships - we've had that discussion in another thread, in volume terms something this size should easily be able to handle many thousands of troops and still be rather more comfortable than any present day naval vessel.
On the other hand, if you're fighting a war on a planetary scale, a few thousands or tens of thousands of men will barely replace last week's losses. We then get into discussing the thorny issue of whether to look at it at least marginally realistically, or to adhere to canon force levels
Well just one of these things is never going to be trying to invade a whole planet by itself. I'd envisage it as doing one of two things; one seizing a beachhead and holding it whilst troop ships land, or whilst large personnel transporters are set up to beam troops down from troopships. Or two, conducting a hit and run raid.