Starfleet Troop landing craft

Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Starfleet Troop landing craft

Post by Graham Kennedy »

It surely has to be rather a waste of resources to use a lander for those kinds of purposes. Space capable shuttles have to be a good deal more expensive than tents!

Imagine rolling 15 C17s into a forward airbase... then parking them off to the side and using them as static shelters. That's like a billion dollars worth of aircraft and a hell of a lot of global strategic transport capability you just threw away so you could avoid spending a couple of million on tents and/or prefab walls.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

do you have anything new on this ship?
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Latest iteration. I kinda like how it's turning out.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

You got one with the landers deployed?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

While I like it conceptually the engineer in me cringes at those landing craft and the thoughts of the loads being put through the connections during hard maneuvers.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:While I like it conceptually the engineer in me cringes at those landing craft and the thoughts of the loads being put through the connections during hard maneuvers.
Are you envisioning some unintended lander deployment when the mothership banks hard? :lol:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

That and torqued frames if they don't.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Well it's not like this ship is going to be dogfighting with Galors or Warbirds. If a Warbird got anywhere near these things, Starfleet has messed up BIG.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Well it's not like this ship is going to be dogfighting with Galors or Warbirds. If a Warbird got anywhere near these things, Starfleet has messed up BIG.
Right, that's never happened before. :lol:
as Bull offed Custer
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Slap a SIF generator meant for a much bigger ship on the thing.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Lighthawk wrote:Slap a SIF generator meant for a much bigger ship on the thing.
More attachments along the sides and base of the transports could also work. One option might be a standard saucer, but with the landers on the outside of the hull. The fun part is that since the landers are all identical, the ones on the bottom of the hull are upside down. These are referred to as the Australia landers, as in order to climb on board you have to turn upside down relative to the rest of the ship.

Out of curiosity, how big are the landers and the ship supposed to be? The landers are roughly 129 pixels long, and I am guessing the ship is (based on last pixel in the nacelles to the front of one of the prongs) about 910 pixels in length. If you wanted the 450 m long mothership, you'd want to drop the length of the landers to ~100 pixels in length, or about 3/4 their current length. (The lengths were gotten from MS Paint, subtracting coordinates)

For the landers, one stunt might be the similar modularity of the Runabout, so a command module can be placed on any of them. Ditto for medical, maintenance, cargo, transporter beacon, and similar modules.

Heck, the Danube is roughly 23 meters long, or half the length of the landing craft.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Coalition wrote:
Lighthawk wrote:Slap a SIF generator meant for a much bigger ship on the thing.
More attachments along the sides and base of the transports could also work. One option might be a standard saucer, but with the landers on the outside of the hull. The fun part is that since the landers are all identical, the ones on the bottom of the hull are upside down. These are referred to as the Australia landers, as in order to climb on board you have to turn upside down relative to the rest of the ship.

Out of curiosity, how big are the landers and the ship supposed to be? The landers are roughly 129 pixels long, and I am guessing the ship is (based on last pixel in the nacelles to the front of one of the prongs) about 910 pixels in length. If you wanted the 450 m long mothership, you'd want to drop the length of the landers to ~100 pixels in length, or about 3/4 their current length. (The lengths were gotten from MS Paint, subtracting coordinates)

For the landers, one stunt might be the similar modularity of the Runabout, so a command module can be placed on any of them. Ditto for medical, maintenance, cargo, transporter beacon, and similar modules.

Heck, the Danube is roughly 23 meters long, or half the length of the landing craft.
Perhaps the carriers could be internalized, in a sort of breakaway shell like what we see for the galaxy class lifeboats? Either integrate them fully into the saucer/hull as we see with the E-E escape pods, or integrate them into the hull structure and cover them with a breakaway panel as we see with the E-D and Defiant if i recall correctly
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

A breakaway panel wouldn't be too much help, as the landers are supposed to be able to rejoin the ship - replacing the panels after each sortie isn't convenient, nor is it necessarily possible from a logistical standpoint while underway in the middle of a campaign.

There are other ways of changing it to carry the landers internally, but I think they're just ways of overcomplicating the design.
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mikey wrote:A breakaway panel wouldn't be too much help, as the landers are supposed to be able to rejoin the ship - replacing the panels after each sortie isn't convenient, nor is it necessarily possible from a logistical standpoint while underway in the middle of a campaign.

There are other ways of changing it to carry the landers internally, but I think they're just ways of overcomplicating the design.
Perhaps a hinged panel then, where the panel lifts and lowers? Or something like the shuttle bay we see in In The Pale Moonlight, with a sliding overhead cover, a bit like a traditional shuttle bay door? That way the drop ships are internal, but not integrated into the hull.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

That would work, but as I mentioned that would be (IMHO, of course) complicating the design for no benefit.
as Bull offed Custer