Starfleet Troop landing craft

Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Starfleet Troop landing craft

Post by Captain Seafort »

Atekimogus wrote:Can't remember exactly but what was the name of the nebula-class ship in DS9 with the all vulcan crew? I bet not even this ship got a made up vulcan name :P !
Actually it did - the USS T'Kumbra.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Well I am honestly surprised at that. Nevertheless my point remains, that they are incredibly unimaginative in their ship/class names. Most of the time you wouldn't even credit starfleet with beeing an global earth organization, much less so an interstellar one with a multi-race setup :wink:
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Nor should it, though it actually did. It was the T'Kumbra.

I think using actual soldiers for ship names IS an improvement.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Agreed, and the use of VC winners names fits well with the ship. I would suggest, however, that rather than limit the ship to VCs, use the names of winners of all top-level military gallantry awards - VC, Medal of Honor, Pour le Merite, and any Andorian, Tellarite, etc equivalents.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Captain Seafort wrote:I would suggest, however, that rather than limit the ship to VCs, use the names of winners of all top-level military gallantry awards - VC, Medal of Honor, Pour le Merite, and any Andorian, Tellarite, etc equivalents.
Seconded.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Well, but then starfleet isn't a military force, more of a police force imho. They even name their battleships explorers etc. so naming ships or shipclasses after feats of arms is something I can't see the federation doing. (Except for the troopship concept here discussed since it has a very narrow role were this would be fitting.)

I must say I always liked shipclasses named after galactic phenomena like Nebula, or Galaxy. That is really neutral and the reason it appears in english is the universal translator :wink: .
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Starfleet has a long tradition of naming Starships after military related things. Not the least of which is Enterprise, named for a long line of Warships. Likewise Akagi, Hornet, Hood, Yamato, and many more.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

That is true but seems to be more of a traditional thing not because they want to celebrate military history imho. Now I am absolutely not sure about this but do present day civilian ships actually have comparable designations like navy-ships? Or are they simply called "Type 6 Cargo Transporter" for example? (Apart from the well known luxury liners like Titanic, Queen Elisabeth but those are only a few ships hardly qualified beeing called a "class" of ships)

Class names seem to be much more diplomatic: "Constitution", "Galaxy", "Nebula", "Ambassador" etc.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Starfleet fullfills a military roll, so I'd call it a military. The peaceful names are probably all just necessitated by political correctness.

I mean, the US could call its newest carrier the USS Happy Bunny. It would still be a warship.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Dammit, Rochey - how did you find out about the "Happy Bunny" project?!
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I have my sources. 8)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Atekimogus wrote:That is true but seems to be more of a traditional thing not because they want to celebrate military history imho. Now I am absolutely not sure about this but do present day civilian ships actually have comparable designations like navy-ships? Or are they simply called "Type 6 Cargo Transporter" for example? (Apart from the well known luxury liners like Titanic, Queen Elisabeth but those are only a few ships hardly qualified beeing called a "class" of ships)
They're usually either given overarching titles (like the RFAs old Round Table-class LSLs or the Maersk class), or they're named after the first ship of the class, just as warships are (the Titanic was Olympic-class).
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

I like it a lot but i have some doubts:
Those points on the spine are the type V banks, right? soo if those are planned for "air support" for the landers and the troops not for ship to ship combat or point defense, why put them on the top side, wouldn't be the belly a better place?

I guees the ship is capable of atmospheric flight, can the landers be launched in the air or must be in the space and is the ship capable of landing too?

Are the landers empty, useless shells or do they work as a command center, hangar, barracks, field hospital, etc? Maybe you can organize several of them as a small land base or outpost.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

SomosFuga wrote:I like it a lot but i have some doubts:
Those points on the spine are the type V banks, right? soo if those are planned for "air support" for the landers and the troops not for ship to ship combat or point defense, why put them on the top side, wouldn't be the belly a better place?
Um, why would it? One side would only be better if you imagine that the ship has to orbit in one particular orientation... and I can't imagine why anybody would think that.
I guees the ship is capable of atmospheric flight, can the landers be launched in the air or must be in the space and is the ship capable of landing too?
The ship is not capable of landing. It could fly in the atmosphere, I guess; we've seen the Connie do that, even. It would not detach the landers in the atmosphere, it would do that in orbit.
Are the landers empty, useless shells or do they work as a command center, hangar, barracks, field hospital, etc? Maybe you can organize several of them as a small land base or outpost.
They are basically C5 equivalents.

Um, I don't know if I've made clear that the landers are perfectly reuseable...?
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Um, why would it? One side would only be better if you imagine that the ship has to orbit in one particular orientation... and I can't imagine why anybody would think that.
lol, you are totally right, i was thinking in it like a plane or a chopper.
GrahamKennedy wrote:The ship is not capable of landing. It could fly in the atmosphere, I guess; we've seen the Connie do that, even. It would not detach the landers in the atmosphere, it would do that in orbit.
even the NX 01
GrahamKennedy wrote:They are basically C5 equivalents.
Um, I don't know if I've made clear that the landers are perfectly reuseable...?
I see them like perfectly reusable in its main role but i wonder about other uses like those i proposed earlier, seems logic IMO unless you are going to take them back to the ship immediately for another trip or something.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!