Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: The Staplic Star Trek Universe

Post by Lt. Staplic »

maybe, but they were Rules of Starship Designs, not shuttle craft
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Which brings up the point of why these rules exist (if they do), in universe. For instance, the "nacelles in pairs" rule and "nothing between nacelles" rules are alleged to be because they are "codependent". It's a fundamental requirement of the technology. The "nothing in front of nacelles" rule is so the gas has a free flow path to the bussard collectors, which somewhat makes sense as an in universe thing.

But the bridge placement... I can buy that warp mechanics dictates a "streamlined" look to the ship and certain nacelle arrangements, etc. But bridge location? If it were a requirement of the technology then it would be so for all warp ships, shuttles included.

But I cannot buy that warp technology requires the bridge to be in a particular place. Even if we stretch to the idea that there has to be something there, why not make it a conference room and stick the bridge ten levels below? It's nonsensical to suggest that a control center must be in a particular part of a ship.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Of course it's nonsensical, because it derived from a self-serving motivation without regard for the actual 'Trek universe. Basic fluid dynamics, for example, shows that the Bussard collectors could be behind a part of the ship and still have gas flowing into them. Bernoulli's principle, you know. I could put a plow on a truck and (as long as it was mounted and angled correctly) still get airflow into the radiator.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Abraxas
Senior chief petty officer

Post by Abraxas »

In my opinion, the Klingon ship looks too much like a Cardassian ship.

As for the arguments about Star Trek ship design, I imagine the dumbest orientation is actually the most Trek-cepted one...
"We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave..."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Interestingly, i thought the Klingon vessel looked very Romulan, much like a Norexan/Valdore.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, doesn't strike me as a very Klingon-esque design.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I see Klingon and Romulan designs as very simmilar b/c they both base their ships off the "Bird" model. However, Romulan designs are much more elegant and streamlined, Klingons are just trying to make their ships leaner and meaner.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

going back to the idea of the Plato and Polyrin Classes from the previous thread I bring you:

Plato Class (mkII)
575m x 450m x 68.75m
15 decks: 900 crew - 150 Officers 750 Enlisted

5x Type X Phasers
10x Rapid Fire Phaser Pulse Cannons
3x Rapid Fire A-Class Torpedoes (Fore)
2x Type 4 Burst Fire A-Class Torpedoes (Fore)
2x Type 3 Burst Fire A-Class Torpedoes (Aft)

Shields: 4.5 million TJ
High Power SIF

Warp Cruise: 18
Max Warp: 20

Beam: 1000
Torpedo: 10300
Wepons range: 1200
Shields: 1666.667
Hull: 1200
Warp: 4177.158
Maneuverability: 1100
Overall: 3928.087

Saucer:
375m x 450m x 37.5m
8 decks

2x Type X Phasers
5x Rapid Fire Phaser Pulse Cannons
2x Rapid Fire A-Class Torpedoes (Fore)

Shields 2 million TJ
High Power SIF

Warp Cruise: 8
Max Warp: 15

Drive:
225m x 287.5m x 62.5m
13 decks

2x Type X Phasers
3x Rapid Fire Phaser Pulse Cannons
2x Type 4 Burst Fire A-Class Topedoes (Fore)
2x Type 3 Burst Fire A-Class Torpedoes (Aft)

Shields: 2.5 million TJ
High Power SIF

Warp Cruise: 18
Max Warp: 20

Impulse Explorer
200m x 100m x 12.5m
3 decks

1x Type X Phasers
2x Rapid Fire Phaser Pulse Cannons
1x Rapid Fire A-Class Torpedoes (Fore)

Shields: 1 million TJ
Standard SIF

Impulse Drive

Plato Class
In 2403 with hostilities rising on the boarders again, some critics began questioning Starfleet's continued production of exploration vessels; while others continued to cite a low number of exploration classes. Both sides had legitimate arguments, so in 2304, to satisfy both parties, construction of Premiere Class, and Galaxy Class's was reduced and supplies appropriated for potential Battleship constructions. They also developed the Polyrin Program to create the new generation Prometheus.
The Federation saw the value of separation in exploration from the Prometheus, especially when charting a nebulae or asteroid field, so they incorporated the idea into the new ship and upping the components into four. The Program was allocated a large amount of recourses to create a strong explorer and potential light cruiser. The final Design was approved by Admiral Paris (Jr.) shortly before he left the post in 2305. By 2306 the USS Plato had embarked on her maiden voyage.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

I like the one that DOESN'T seperate... but that's mostly because I have a bias against ships breaking apart. I just can't wrap my brain around the minor benefits of such a system vs. the extreme degree of complexity it would have.
"We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave..."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

We've gone through the multi-vector-assault-mode thing before, and there quite simply aren't enough benefits to outweigh the downsides. Far better to keep it just as one ship. This isn't Power Rangers, I don't want to see ships combining to form one super-ship.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I see the exploration benefits. I agree that for a war-time ship the seperation is a bad idea, however when you're exploring a nebula or new system, it'd be benificial to be able to split up and scan the system in a third of the time.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I think something like that could be more easily acheived with Runabout style crafts. Granted, they wouldn't have the full sensor abilities of a Starship, but you could pack have a dozen at least into a shuttlebay and send them out enmasse.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I've done the Feds, Romulans, Klingons, and now
The Cardassians:

Merzhorn Class
280m x 140m x 40m
11 decks: 150 crew - 25 officers 125 enlisted

10x Spiral Wave Disruptor
1x High Power Spiral Wave Disruptor
2x Type 3 Burst Fire Quantum Torpedoes (Aft)
1x Pulse Fire Photon Torpedo (Fore)
2x Type 3 Burst Fire Tunneling Torpedoes (Fore)

Shields: 3 million TJ
High Power SIF

Warp Cruise: 8 (TNG)
Max Warp: 9.97 (TNG)

Beam: 700
Torpedoes: 987
Wepons Range: 1000
Shields: 1111.111
Hull: 1400
Warp: 2698.382
Maneuverability: 2700
Overall: 1084.44

CU Merzhorn Class
After the Dominion War a large number of the CU's fleet was forced to be destroyed as they were all war ships used in the war against the Federation. To fill the void the Cardassian Union produced large numbers of "exploration" vessels, and Hedeki Class scouts as well as used the Galor's it was allowed to continue using. In 2380 the Obsidian Order had a magnificent year. They got detailed reports about several technologies and design patterns from their neighbors, the Romulans, as well as a few from the Federation. In 2382 The Cardassian Union invaded and took over what remained of Breen Space. This brought a large amount of criticism and threat of war from the Federation, but not action was taken.
With the new intelligence and recourses available, the Obsidian Order designed a new starship to fill the roll of the Galor and even the Keldon. The ship was fitted with much stronger shields than either of the other ships, was much faster, and much heavier armed. The design also was made to be slightly more battle survivable. This feature however has yet to be tested. Several new Cardassian technologies were also incorporated into the ship such as the Tunneling Torpedo, and Quantum Torpedo.
The first Merzhorn Class ship was constructed in 2387, however the Obsidian Order was successful in making sure the other powers of the Alpha/Beta Quadrant didn't learn of it's existence until after 2397 when they could defend the new warship class with the production of the Federations Battle Ship and the increasing warship fleet of the Romulans.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Ummm, hi. Isn't the Order no longer in existence?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That is what we wanted you to think, comrade.
I see the exploration benefits. I agree that for a war-time ship the seperation is a bad idea, however when you're exploring a nebula or new system, it'd be benificial to be able to split up and scan the system in a third of the time.
Not really. Ships have been seen to scan whole systems rather quickly, so range obviously isn't an issue. So there's still no point in seperating the ship, as you'd still be searching with the same net number of scanners.