Missing Buttons on Microsoft Edge

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Missing Buttons on Microsoft Edge

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Hi, I am attempting to use Microsoft Edge (not so successfully) as Chrome is just going way too slowly, but on DITL.org the three buttons at the right hand side of the screen (Photo Galleries; Maps/Politics; and Forum) are absent. I don't know if it a known issue or not. I took a screenshot. I'm on Windows 10. I can't seem to get the image to show on here, here's a link https://ibb.co/dcsmuK
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Missing Buttons on Microsoft Edge

Post by IanKennedy »

It's a bug in Edge. Basically the buttons width is calculated to exactly fit the width of the bar. On every single browser (other than edge) it allows for the option to specify fractional widths for a completely perfect fit. On Edge, it would seem, it's only allowing whole numbers. You can see this in action if you slowly change the width of the window pixel by pixel. You will see that for some widths the buttons show as they need to, for the majority then don't. This is because the times when it shows results in a whole number for the button width so things fit perfectly. When it's a fractional answer it seems to be rounding up to the nearest pixel and thus becoming too wide.

I'll see if I can report it to Microsoft but I'm not sure there's a way of doing that. For now I would highly recommend you get a better web browser. Edge would seem to be following the long held Microsoft tradition of duff software.
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Oh, and one more note, the buttons are there. They've wrapped onto the next line. If you look really carefully at the black line between rows there's an extra orange / but bit in underneath the base of the first button. That single pixel line will, if clicked, perform the action of the button.
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

One more thing, Internet Explorer is still provided on Windows 10 along with Edge. Using that solves the problem, for any width window.
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

OK, it's now reported to Microsoft. We'll see if they do anything about it.
email, ergo spam
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, I have switched to Internet Explorer, as Chrome is just barely working at all, and Edge is totally crap. I have had little issues since switching to IE. First time I've used it in about 8 years.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Have you tried removing Chrome completely and re-installing. Make sure there's no plug-ins / extensions in Chrome
email, ergo spam
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks, I'll try that.