New specs

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: New specs

Post by Meste17 »

IanKennedy wrote:I'm not aware of any canon source that would provide that information. Otherwise it would just be speculation on our part. I'm not sure there's any specific canon that even proves that fighters exist.
Actually there is. Look at the DS9 episode Sacrifice of Angels where the Federation fleet blasts the HELL out of the Dominion fleet (with the Klingons joining in later). They use attack FIGHTERS to draw the Cardie ships away from the lines of the fleet. Sisko even CALLS them attack fighters EXACTLY per dialogue in the episode. There's your proof right there.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

If you read the thread that you started. Ian and Graham both touched on that point. Pointing out that those craft are larger than standard fighters, long range and warp capable.

They are called fighter but hardly class as it in the sense you use. Since they are fully functional independent craft, there would be no point in having a ship carry them.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Meste17 wrote:
IanKennedy wrote:I'm not aware of any canon source that would provide that information. Otherwise it would just be speculation on our part. I'm not sure there's any specific canon that even proves that fighters exist.
Actually there is. Look at the DS9 episode Sacrifice of Angels where the Federation fleet blasts the HELL out of the Dominion fleet (with the Klingons joining in later). They use attack FIGHTERS to draw the Cardie ships away from the lines of the fleet. Sisko even CALLS them attack fighters EXACTLY per dialogue in the episode. There's your proof right there.
Who says they're federation ships?
email, ergo spam
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

IanKennedy wrote:
Meste17 wrote:
Now you're just being obtuse. They contain the same design elements as federation vessels when it comes to coloration. They were clearly not Klingon or Romulan (no green) and the nacelle structure matched Fedeation ships (other than being integrated).

The fighters clearly exist. The question is what would be their intended usage. As mentioned many times, combat vs starships is not likely. However, they could act as planetary scouts (less manpower needed to patrol than several starships) and when trouble is found they call in.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

The so called fighters we see behave very much like small ships. Torpedo boats or small cutters or gunboats. Fighters like think of them today are not small ships in the air. Unless if course you are willing to alter the concept of the fighter into small ships that can operate by themselves without support.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Agreed, they are much closer to cutters than anything air based that we have today. However they are called fighters. That is their in universe classification. That does not mean they are the same concept as what we have today (since space travel is much closer to under sea travel than air).
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

There was something comparable long ago. Back in the late 19th century, a handful of battleships carried a torpedo boat which never worked in practice. Usually those torpedo boats stayed off of the battleship. So there is that.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

stitch626 wrote:
IanKennedy wrote:
Meste17 wrote:
Now you're just being obtuse. They contain the same design elements as federation vessels when it comes to coloration. They were clearly not Klingon or Romulan (no green) and the nacelle structure matched Fedeation ships (other than being integrated).

The fighters clearly exist. The question is what would be their intended usage. As mentioned many times, combat vs starships is not likely. However, they could act as planetary scouts (less manpower needed to patrol than several starships) and when trouble is found they call in.
Actually no, I meant Startleet ships. Who says they are Starfleet ships. Rather than local system ships. We see the Marquis in subsequent episodes and voyager and there never much suggestion that their ships have been stolen from Startleet. They would be far more keen to take control of them if they were.
email, ergo spam
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

IanKennedy wrote:Actually no, I meant Startleet ships. Who says they are Starfleet ships. Rather than local system ships. We see the Marquis in subsequent episodes and voyager and there never much suggestion that their ships have been stolen from Startleet. They would be far more keen to take control of them if they were.
Which makes sense. If they are non-Starfleet ships, they would probably be more likely to be accessible to the Maquis in larger numbers, and Starfleet may simply have commandeered system defence ships towards the Dominion war effort.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

McAvoy wrote:The so called fighters we see behave very much like small ships. Torpedo boats or small cutters or gunboats.
Or bombers, given the endurance of something like a B52.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Possibly. Though these ships seem to act exactly like fighters not bombers.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

In the opening of the episode "Field of Fire" (the TR-116 episode), Bashir toasts the guy who ends up dead, stating that he's "Living proof that Starfleet Academy produces the finest fighter pilots in the galaxy."

Why would Starfleet train fighter pilots if they don't have fighters?

This one seems clear-cut to me; just because their fighters have longer range and better accommodations than modern fighters, doesn't mean they aren't fighters.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Tsukiyumi wrote:In the opening of the episode "Field of Fire" (the TR-116 episode), Bashir toasts the guy who ends up dead, stating that he's "Living proof that Starfleet Academy produces the finest fighter pilots in the galaxy."

Why would Starfleet train fighter pilots if they don't have fighters?

This one seems clear-cut to me; just because their fighters have longer range and better accommodations than modern fighters, doesn't mean they aren't fighters.
But he called him that as a result of him flying the Defiant around. So it could be equally taken to mean that their fighter pilots do not in fact pilot fighters, but pilot small Starships.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I doubt there is anything different in the controls of the Defiant vs. any other ship in the fleet other than size and handling characteristics. Though I doubt no one would try to pilot the E-D like a fighter.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

GrahamKennedy wrote:But he called him that as a result of him flying the Defiant around. So it could be equally taken to mean that their fighter pilots do not in fact pilot fighters, but pilot small Starships.
Bashir says that, and then continues the toast, extolling his exploits piloting the Defiant; the two statements seemed separate to me. Like the guy had been promoted up from piloting fighters.

At this point, with all the evidence, you'd have to bend over pretty far to fit the idea that either the Peregrine isn't a fighter, or that they aren't Starfleet fighters.

Sacrifice of Angels - Sisko orders fighters to attack the Cardassians. We then see fighters attack the Cardassians.

Field of Fire - Bashir states that Starfleet Academy trains fighter pilots.

The simplest, most plausible theory is that Starfleet operates fighters.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939