Non Canon Ships and events

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Non Canon Ships and events

Post by DarkMoineau »

What seems strange for me to have so few firepower is not only because of the era but because of the size of the ship. We have something almost as big as an Excelsior or a Nebula with phaser firepower inferior to a Nova or New Orleans ship who are much more smaller. It just feel wrong for me. I don't expect a Luna ship to have as firepower as a Nebula but something like 15 000TW would be inferior to an Excelsior or an Akira cruiser, half the firepower of an old Ambassador or Nebula, and would fit well for me the purpose of that ship without having something as big becoming more useless than a pure scientific ship like the Nova once all the torpedoes have been fired (something that happen as Nemesis show).
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

GrahamKennedy wrote:A new DS9 will be a while coming. For now we're concentrating on the Titan and Destiny series. As discussed upthread, there's just too many books to try and include everything.
Okay. Then I suppose you'll also be doing the NX refit class (the one with the secondary hull)?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Meste17 wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:A new DS9 will be a while coming. For now we're concentrating on the Titan and Destiny series. As discussed upthread, there's just too many books to try and include everything.
Okay. Then I suppose you'll also be doing the NX refit class (the one with the secondary hull)?
No, that was just a proposal that was never used. It's not a "real" ship.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Could put it in as a proposal that never went through.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
Meste17 wrote:
No, that was just a proposal that was never used. It's not a "real" ship.
Actually, according to the Enterprise novels set after the series, not only is it too a real ship, it has its own designation: The Columbia class (named on Archer's recommendation and behalf) after the Columbia NX-02.

Here is the link: http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Columbia_class
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

It came from a book. The Rise of the Federation.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Well if we ever get around to those books, then it would be a good candidate.

As I've said, for now it's the Destiny and Titan series plus related odds and sods. After that, we will see.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

McAvoy wrote:Bah!

There isn't even a Pluto anymore either in Trek too.
Tinadrin Chelnor wrote:
McAvoy wrote:Bah!

There isn't even a Pluto anymore either in Trek too.
Maybe that's why Pluto was consumed, to end the debate once and for all.
What's this about no Pluto in Trek? Did I miss something in 700 episodes?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

This talk is about novels. One of the events leading up to the Destiny trilogy is Pluto being destroyed by a giant 500 mile diameter Borg sphere and the Federation saved Earth by having a small fleet of shuttles and runabouts shooting down an Borg exhuast tunnel that only the Sisko could shoot down by channeling the Prophets and guiding his photon torpedo down the port. Beware though his father will mutilate him with a hot spatula and possibly cut off The Sisko's hand.

Let's keep in mind the Sisko's new friend that was a guy and now is a hot chick. Unrelated, it is kinda like finding out who your sister is and turns out you kissed her. Sort of like that.

I think they made a movie about that.

Of course this real story is not realistic because as we all know The Sisko and his USS Mother Fucking Pimp Hand would have solved any issues so his personal real life story was greatly exaggerated to fill a 2 hour movie slot.
Last edited by McAvoy on Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

McAvoy wrote:This talk is about novels. One of the events leading up to the Destiny trilogy is Pluto being destroyed by a giant 500 diameter Borg sphere and the Federation saved Earth by having a small fleet of shuttles and runabouts shooting down an Borg exhuast tunnel that only the Sisko could shoot down by channeling the Prophets and guiding his photon torpedo down the port. Beware though his father will mutilate him with a hot spatula and possibly cut off The Sisko's hand.
Looks like something I know. I feel a great sarcasm in the Force. :angel1:
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Could a reason for lower beam power also be that they are simply not as usable anymore? When fighting the kind of bigger and stronger enemies that have come around the torps are the way to go and beams are almost more just a distraction.

When dealing with the likes of a Scimitar or Dominion Battleship, much less a Dominion Dreadnought or Borg Cube; beam weapons are more akin to tossing a hand full of sand in someones face while the torps are the punches. In early TNG times beam weapons were sufficient to handle the majority of situations. That has changed a lot and therefore beam weapons have become... nearly obsolete.

What do you think?
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Well, I think you can't putt all your eggs on the same basket. Specially against the Dominion. Indeed phasers are useless against a battleship but most of Dominion ship are less than 70m long attack ship with a dozen of soldiers aboard. The incredibly accurate phaser looks like the perfect weapon against that kind of small, soft, but numerous target.
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

You know what I would like to see sometime Graham...?

Specs on the Odyssey class Enterprise-F! :D From Star Trek Online! :D
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

I have already thought about it! ^^

As a Star Cruiser being a new class equivalent of the battleships of other navies, and using everything I have found for that ship of 2409, I have thought it could be superior to a Dominion Dreadnought or a Scimitar created 30 years before him.
The Odyssey seems to be 1062 meters long, 371 meters width and 148 meters high and maybe his weight could be 8,5 millions metric tons.

The ship is said to be able to go at Warp 9.996 and I have seen also a 9.998, based on the TNG scale, it gave us 11690c and 16694.5c.

But it's a level 50 ship and at this level it is possible to travel at transwarp speed (Quantum Slipstream) of at least a warp 25 factor, and the maximal speed in the game is warp 67.56. Based on the Cochrane scale, it gave us 15625c and 308367.5c.

The ship doesn't seem to be more agile than a Galaxy but it doesn't mean he should be less agile than a Galaxy in the 2360's, as showed by how agile the Sovereign is compared to the Galaxy.

The ship carry 16 phasers array. I think it should be equivalent or a little similar to the old Dominion Dreadnought. It means 3 200 000 TW or an indexation of 12500.

The standard compliment is made of 4 torpedoes launcher. It would be something more sophisticated than the Burst Type 4 or Rapide Fire, being able to fire both photon and quantum torpedoes, based on 4 Rapid Fire it would gave him 10800 points.

For the accuracy I have absolutely no clue but it should be far superior to 1500. Maybe higher than 10 000 but not sure.

As a last tier ship, the Odyssey carry an huge amount of HP, higher than Defiant or Sovereign, so I have think about a heavy Duranium-Tritanium Double Hull with 25 cm of ablative armor. The shield should be somewhere 10 000 000 and 60 000 000 TJ, having the equivalent of 10 Galaxy or Sovereign would mean a shield in the range of 50/55 000 000 TJ with an aproximative score of 20 000.

With conventional warp factor using TNG scale it would give a ship in the range of a total score of 20 000 / 25 000, equivalent to the old Dreadnought. Using the Transwarp factor and the cochrane scale would gave a total score in the range of the 30 000/40 000, clearly inferior to 8472 or Borg ship but allowing a fleet of Federal Star Cruiser and Klingon Battleship (because Klingon have the perfect match for an Odyssey, like the Vor'Cha/Galaxy duo) and support ship to defend the Alpha and Beta Quadrant against them.
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

DarkMoineau wrote:I have already thought about it! ^^

As a Star Cruiser being a new class equivalent of the battleships of other navies, and using everything I have found for that ship of 2409, I have thought it could be superior to a Dominion Dreadnought or a Scimitar created 30 years before him.
The Odyssey seems to be 1062 meters long, 371 meters width and 148 meters high and maybe his weight could be 8,5 millions metric tons.

The ship is said to be able to go at Warp 9.996 and I have seen also a 9.998, based on the TNG scale, it gave us 11690c and 16694.5c.

But it's a level 50 ship and at this level it is possible to travel at transwarp speed (Quantum Slipstream) of at least a warp 25 factor, and the maximal speed in the game is warp 67.56. Based on the Cochrane scale, it gave us 15625c and 308367.5c.

The ship doesn't seem to be more agile than a Galaxy but it doesn't mean he should be less agile than a Galaxy in the 2360's, as showed by how agile the Sovereign is compared to the Galaxy.

The ship carry 16 phasers array. I think it should be equivalent or a little similar to the old Dominion Dreadnought. It means 3 200 000 TW or an indexation of 12500.

The standard compliment is made of 4 torpedoes launcher. It would be something more sophisticated than the Burst Type 4 or Rapide Fire, being able to fire both photon and quantum torpedoes, based on 4 Rapid Fire it would gave him 10800 points.

For the accuracy I have absolutely no clue but it should be far superior to 1500. Maybe higher than 10 000 but not sure.

As a last tier ship, the Odyssey carry an huge amount of HP, higher than Defiant or Sovereign, so I have think about a heavy Duranium-Tritanium Double Hull with 25 cm of ablative armor. The shield should be somewhere 10 000 000 and 60 000 000 TJ, having the equivalent of 10 Galaxy or Sovereign would mean a shield in the range of 50/55 000 000 TJ with an aproximative score of 20 000.

With conventional warp factor using TNG scale it would give a ship in the range of a total score of 20 000 / 25 000, equivalent to the old Dreadnought. Using the Transwarp factor and the cochrane scale would gave a total score in the range of the 30 000/40 000, clearly inferior to 8472 or Borg ship but allowing a fleet of Federal Star Cruiser and Klingon Battleship (because Klingon have the perfect match for an Odyssey, like the Vor'Cha/Galaxy duo) and support ship to defend the Alpha and Beta Quadrant against them.
Okay, can you format that into the standard DITL text for the ship then?