Poll ideas

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Re: Poll ideas

Post by Griffin »

That's a VS, and thats agaisnt the site rules.
I'd suggest you read them, so you don't get caught out. Here
Bite my shiny metal ass
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Sorry, Its my first day and I must have missed that rule.
ImageImage
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

That's OK, I just didn't want you to end up getting banned.
Bite my shiny metal ass
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Thanks. Ill try to come up with some better ideas next time.
ImageImage
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

alexmann wrote:Thanks. Ill try to come up with some better ideas next time.
It's not necessarily a bad idea, but if you've checked out the bit to which Condan so graciously lined you'll notice that our esteemed hosts have a strict "no vs." policy WRT different sci-fi universes. The goal is to prevent being mired in irreconcilable fanboy debates and flame wars.

Oh, and we wouldn't ban you for the first offense. If you have pets, though...

JK. Welcome.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Mikey wrote:Welcome.
Thanks
Mikey wrote:our esteemed hosts have a strict "no vs." policy WRT different sci-fi universes. The goal is to prevent being mired in irreconcilable fanboy debates and flame wars.
They should allow VS if you have a calm sensible discussion rather than a flame war.
ImageImage
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

That never happens, it's just better to disallow it, believe us.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

Sometimes it's rather hard to have a calm discussion, and sometimes people can be incredibly insensible.
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Can't the discussion just be ended then or continued with only the people being sensible?
ImageImage
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Certainly. I'm sure Ian and Graham would be happy to offer advice on starting your own forum. On THEIR forum, they've deemed it more efficacious to stop bad things before they start.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Alex, while some people may agree with your line of argument, "no versus debates" is one of the fundamental rules of the forum. If you wish to debate the matter, please do so via PMs to Graham or Ian. It's their sandpit we're playing in, and therefore it is therefore their decision alone whether or not to change the rules, noone else's.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Giuseppe
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by Giuseppe »

Hello there, new guy here! Actually I've been visiting the site for years, I even made this account a few years back. Just never thought to actually post though :)

In fact I don't think I would've bothered you guys if I hadn't noticed something a bit strange about the poll this week. I don't know if it's the right place to talk about this, but I'd rather not start a new thread for something that may be nothing. Is there an issue regarding multiple votes? I believe the site has some way of detecting if someone has already voted, but the sudden changes I've noticed this week in the poll are quite strange. Don't know if it's just my impression. If it is, just ignore this :mrgreen:
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Giuseppe wrote:Hello there, new guy here! Actually I've been visiting the site for years, I even made this account a few years back. Just never thought to actually post though :)

In fact I don't think I would've bothered you guys if I hadn't noticed something a bit strange about the poll this week. I don't know if it's the right place to talk about this, but I'd rather not start a new thread for something that may be nothing. Is there an issue regarding multiple votes? I believe the site has some way of detecting if someone has already voted, but the sudden changes I've noticed this week in the poll are quite strange. Don't know if it's just my impression. If it is, just ignore this :mrgreen:
For some reaon the poll does allow multiple voting.
ImageImage
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

alexmann wrote:Can't the discussion just be ended then or continued with only the people being sensible?
No, there is no exception to the vs rule, no matter how well behaved you think you will be. Trust me I'm one of the site owners, it's not going to happen. If you don't like it I'm happy to close your account if you wish. There are plenty if other sites where you can argue vs if that is what you want.
email, ergo spam
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

IanKennedy wrote:
alexmann wrote:Can't the discussion just be ended then or continued with only the people being sensible?
No, there is no exception to the vs rule, no matter how well behaved you think you will be. Trust me I'm one of the site owners, it's not going to happen. If you don't like it I'm happy to close your account if you wish. There are plenty if other sites where you can argue vs if that is what you want.
Sorry, I just thought that it would be quite a good Battle. Ill try to come up with some ones that are allowed.
ImageImage