Poll ideas

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Poll ideas

Post by Mikey »

alexmann wrote:
Mikey wrote:
thelordharry wrote:Are you Italian?
He's Romanian.
How can you tell? Did you just know that the name is Romanian?
Yeah, what Griffin said. AFAIK, the name "Giuseppe" is of Italian derivation.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

It is - it's the name of a bloke who made biscuits.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Giuseppe
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by Giuseppe »

I'm Romanian alright. From Bucharest. I wasn't sure if there's a proper thread around here where you can say a bit about yourself or anything like that so I just skipped the intro altogether :D

As for Giuseppe, it's Italian, but it's also just a nickname I picked up many years ago in school and it kinda stuck with me; most of my (old) friends call me that. And since when I started using the Internet it was all about nicknames and IDs, there were few sites where you'd use your actual name, I just thought Giuseppe was the perfect nickname for me to use online. I've been "Giuseppe" on practically every forum where I've ever had an account. So there you have it!
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

alexmann wrote:Sorry, I don't read the politics section.
Try it, you'll like it! :P ... Just keep the headache pills nearby sometimes. ;)
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:It is - it's the name of a bloke who made biscuits.
What are you on about? It's the name of a bloke who adopted the son born to his wife roundabout 0 C.E.
Giuseppe wrote:I'm Romanian alright. From Bucharest. I wasn't sure if there's a proper thread around here where you can say a bit about yourself or anything like that so I just skipped the intro altogether :D

As for Giuseppe, it's Italian, but it's also just a nickname I picked up many years ago in school and it kinda stuck with me; most of my (old) friends call me that. And since when I started using the Internet it was all about nicknames and IDs, there were few sites where you'd use your actual name, I just thought Giuseppe was the perfect nickname for me to use online. I've been "Giuseppe" on practically every forum where I've ever had an account. So there you have it!
We did have a thread somewhere in FC for brief bio info, but it's probably lost in the mists of time. Are you a Josef, are is the nickname of more bizarre origin?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Giuseppe
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by Giuseppe »

Well school kids can make the most bizarre connections. It was a history class, we were studying something about the revolts and revolutions of 1848-1849 that happened all over Europe and there was this important Italian politician that was named Giuseppe Mazzini. Some of my class mates thought that Mazzini and Mazilu (my family name) sounded a lot alike... honestly, the similarity is marginal, but school kids... :lol: and since they also found Giuseppe to be somehow funny they started calling me that. It never bothered me (it's not as if there was anything derogatory about it), in fact I took it to heart. Nowadays I even have a habit of occasionally presenting myself as Giuseppe to new acquaintances. Most people assume I'm Italian :mrgreen:

One funny bit (at least it was to me) happened when I went with a few friends to Germany. One of my mates is half Italian and his name is Geovani (but he doesn't speak a word Italian); also they were all calling me by my nickname, Giuseppe. We met a German guy who picked up on this and since he spoke a bit of Italian he started asking us things in it. So old Adi there was speaking in Italian to two guys called Giuseppe and Geovani who couldn't understant a bit he was saying. OK, maybe I did understand a bit (it's not very dissimilar to Romanian), but it was still funny when I had to explain to him that he was wasting his "talent" on us :D
Last edited by Giuseppe on Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

:happydevil:
ImageImage
noblesix
Petty officer third class
Petty officer third class

Post by noblesix »

FAIL!
twitch2oh
Petty officer second class
Location: Always where I am, sometimes where I was and never where I'm supposed to be.

Post by twitch2oh »

Small nit: The poll for August 2015 has "Jeal Luc Picard" listed. Pretty sure that's supposed to be Jean-Luc Picard. XD
Twitch + NOS = Pill-z
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

twitch2oh wrote:Small nit: The poll for August 2015 has "Jeal Luc Picard" listed. Pretty sure that's supposed to be Jean-Luc Picard. XD
Fixed, thanks
email, ergo spam
twitch2oh
Location: Always where I am, sometimes where I was and never where I'm supposed to be.

Post by twitch2oh »

Of course. :) Nitpicking typos seems to be my thing, might as well put it to use.
Twitch + NOS = Pill-z