Testing please

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Testing please

Post by IanKennedy »

stitch626 wrote:I will give the most exact description possible, as getting a picture isn't working well.

I open the page. No problems. Looks fine.
I click on "FED SHIPS". The side menu comes up. Look down the list. When I get to what should be Constillation, it is "Constillatio". The n is past the edge of the orange area. This occurs with many other side menus.
For example, when I click on "FLEETS", Introduction is cut off.
And the Links-Awards button is simply "LINKS-".
This is using Chrome.
Yes, this is the case with Chrome it is broken. They cannot download fonts.
It isn't a problem in Firefox (the getting cut off part), but the text looks.... pixelly. Its very compressed and looks like it was done in a 100x100 resolution.
Try changing your screen properties to use ClearType. Force reloading stuff etc. I had this and it was fixed.
In Safari it looks amazing and beautiful.
Yes, It should also look that way in Firefox and IE.
In IE 8 it looks fine at first, but as soon as I click on a top menu item, all of the top menus change to the huge blocky letters. Then, as I click on more, they some switch between correct font and huge gigantic font. :confused:
Another bug in IE. Which I've reported.
I will try my best to get all the images... eventually.
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Mark wrote:I'm thinking it's a Beta Ian, because I haven't downloaded anything lately.

The reload isn't working though.
So get the full version, which is now available:

http://www.mozilla.org
email, ergo spam
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Ok Ian.......Its good now!!! The text is a little "smushed" looking in some places, but it does FLY.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Chrome is using the same engine to render HTML/CSS that Safari is using so it should be able to download and display the fonts, however, it isn't. When they fix the browser it should work fine.
email, ergo spam
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Ah. Thank you. Firefox is fixed now. Now I just need to wait for Google and Microsoft.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

stitch626 wrote:Ah. Thank you. Firefox is fixed now. Now I just need to wait for Google and Microsoft.
Oddly enough it works fine in IE 6 and 7.
email, ergo spam
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Ship nits on main site1

Post by Sonic Glitch »

My only complaint is that it's visually boring to me. But that's personal opinion so if it's an easier/better/quicker/more efficient option on your end, what does it matter?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ship nits on main site

Post by IanKennedy »

me,myself and I wrote:My only complaint is that it's visually boring to me. But that's personal opinion so if it's an easier/better/quicker/more efficient option on your end, what does it matter?
Sorry, what are you talking about? This is the ship nits thread so I'm not sure what is boring?
email, ergo spam
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Ship nits on main site

Post by Nickswitz »

He thought it was the Testing please! thread :lol:
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ship nits on main site1

Post by IanKennedy »

me,myself and I wrote:My only complaint is that it's visually boring to me. But that's personal opinion so if it's an easier/better/quicker/more efficient option on your end, what does it matter?
Odd, I find it virtually indistinguishable from the current graphical site. We go from:

to

The A's are rounded in the new font but that's about it. Apart from it's slightly wider.
email, ergo spam
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Re: Ship nits on main site1

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Nickswitz wrote:He thought it was the Testing please! thread :lol:
:doh: I'll get my coat...
IanKennedy wrote:
Odd, I find it virtually indistinguishable from the current graphical site. We go from:

to

The A's are rounded in the new font but that's about it. Apart from it's slightly wider.
Hmm.. maybe I need to clear my cache/cookies then cuz I'm still occasionally seeing just a boring plaintext style. I can load the test page 3 times and get 3 different views...
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Bet you are using Internet Exploder 8 aren't you? It's buggy. Internet Exploder 7 and even 6 do a better job with downloading fonts.
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Here are my results with different browsers / platforms.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3981&start=90#p183259
email, ergo spam
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Hm.. when I click the link it looks fine, when I type the address into the browser, i get the large blocky print that goes off the buttons. Wierd.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Try clearing your cache and all other transient files. Close Internet Explorer and then go to the control panel. In there you will find an Internet Options icon. Run that. In that panel, on the General tab, you should see a button saying Delete... in the Browsing history section. Make sure that Temporary Internet Files, Cookies and History is selected and click the delete button. You can then click the OK button on the Internet options panel. You can then start IE again and look at the site.

I've seen times when you click on a menu and then click on a page link that the top strip goes into the wrong font. If you turn on Comparability mode it seems to get better. It's basically a sticking plaster over their bugs in IE8. IE 7 does not suffer this problem. Even IE 6 works properly. You could alway download Firefox and use that, at least it's sane.
email, ergo spam