Main page nits

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Main page nits

Post by IanKennedy »

Teaos wrote:Ah I see what it is, there is momentarily one scoll bar being added for the whole page including the buttons at the top, that added to the normal scoll that just covers "whats new" makes it double in size, but it does blink into and out of existence like twice a second.
This was the snow. If you force the page to reload it will likely be fixed now. Please let me know if it isn't.
email, ergo spam
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

The button for the forum is missing from the front page for me. I have tried reloading and cashe clear. It happened both at home ad at work. It is literally simply missing.

Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

On what browser/platform? I've tried it with IE and Firefox, windows and Mac and can't see a problem.
email, ergo spam
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Chrome. It just started this week. Before, maybe Tuesday, I had no issues.

It is odd that it is both my work computer and my laptop at home.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Jim wrote:Chrome. It just started this week. Before, maybe Tuesday, I had no issues. Same bookmark etc...
I tried Chrome on Mac and it works fine. I'll try Windows.
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Just tried it on Windows 7 and all is fine.
email, ergo spam
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

I use firefox, and I can replicate the issue if I zoom out with the zoom level thing. Anything less than 100% size removes those buttons.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

That actually did bring them back. I was at 90% here at work, 100% and the buttons reappear. However, I didn't change my settings before and it is weird that it was 2 different computers.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

I've got the same issue - the buttons aren't missing, they're just off the right hand side of the screen. You can see (and click on) a sliver of the left hand end of them. Windows, FF.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:I've got the same issue - the buttons aren't missing, they're just off the right hand side of the screen. You can see (and click on) a sliver of the left hand end of them. Windows, FF.
Try resetting your zoom level to 100%, it worked for others. The button row has been scaled to fit the width of the area it lives within (the top strip). The browser is responsible for choosing the width of each button to make sure they fit. I suspect that there is a bug in the browser that sometimes gets the scaling wrong when zoom is enabled.
email, ergo spam
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

Okay... this one has bugged me for years now, but I was usually hip-deep in looking up facts in one browser tab, while doing ship scaling in another, and twenty different things (thank god for multiple monitors!) Anyway just got approved for the forum, after figuring I should just sign up here. (yay!) and... well..

You'll all kick yourselves for this one. I didn't notice it for, probably years. (And DITL is a regular stop for me!)

Go to Size Charts.

Then under "Ship Size Charts", look for Federation Ships...
You figure, that's easy, first button!
Nope.
You figure, maybe there's a fault somewhere between DITL and Me (ISP), so some buttons aren't loading?
Nope.

Read that first button. Go on. Spell it out with me:
F. E. D. A? T-ION? !!!
FEDATION.

Told you you'll kick yourselves for missing it.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Fixed. Welcome to the forum. At one point all of our buttons where graphics. Then we converted them to text and I had to type there names in again. Guess I miss typed one :)
email, ergo spam
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

IanKennedy wrote:Fixed. Welcome to the forum. At one point all of our buttons where graphics. Then we converted them to text and I had to type there names in again. Guess I miss typed one :)
I have a screenshot of that somewhere, you know... for posterity? Joking. I don't know where it went... but was what I was going to use in case it wasn't on your end to show. (THAT I have had before, but not something that lasted more than a day, never mind howeverlong DITL's buttons have been text.)

some people don't see typo's when raeding normally so long as the last two letters are correct and contians all the right letters. In a wall of text, it's even harder (going back ten years, when I'd just do a basic html website, not of this fancy frames and cookies), I'd hate it when the existing code is bascially on a single line ten-hours of side-scrolling wide, or turn on word wrap and a complete mess. It's like some coders have never heard of "carriage return". Which, you know, yours is nice. even the TR codes are on their own line.

Spot the intentional typos above ;)
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

raeding
email, ergo spam
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

As a sometime writer, it can also be incredibly difficult to proof-read something you've written, especially if you're doing it shortly after you wrote it. There is a very strong tendency to read what you think you wrote rather than what you actually wrote.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...